By now, you’re totally aware of the fact that we have a slight (okay, major) obsession with hand-lettering. Between our easy online class with Danielle Evans and our closets full of lettered t-shirts, this gorgeous skill is pretty much the bomb.com. So after you’re done scrolling and double tapping your fave Insta artists, get ready to hunker down with a hand lettering book. Scroll on to discover 10 books that’ll teach you new skills and get your creative juices flowing.
1. In Progress ($15): Add two things to your list of things to do today: 1. Snag this book of hand-lettering sketches. 2. Grab your ticket to Re:Make 2015, because the author, Jessica Hische, will be joining us at the conference! Oh, we’re SO excited.
2. Hand-Lettering Ledger ($13): Ready to become a master at creating hand-drawn fonts? Then Hand-Lettering Ledger is a must-read. Prepare to be amazed by your skills!
3. Creative Lettering ($16): What better way to become a pro at hand-lettering than learning from the pros themselves?
4. The Art of Whimsical Lettering ($19): Not only do we think this is a must-read for learning to create stylized fonts, but it would also make one epic coffee table book. And who doesn’t love a good coffee table book?
5. Whatever You Are, Be a Good One ($11): In need of some serious inspiration and motivation? Then this is the book for you. Hand-lettering + inspiration = a book totally worth flipping through.
6. Little Book of Lettering ($13): Little Book of Lettering showcases the diverse range of talent across the hand-lettering industry, but what we love the most about it is that Jessica Hische is featured! And in case you need a refresher, she’ll be with us at Re:Make :)
7. Drawing Type ($23): Are you a total beginner? Don’t worry, us too. Read Drawing Type to take your skills from amateur to total pro. And after you finish reading and learning, it will look super chic stacked on your bookshelf. Just sayin’.
8. Hand Lettering ($11): Opt for something a little more low-key and pick up this paperback. Learn how to take your stationery, greeting cards and scrapbooks to the next level. Score!
9. Typography Sketchbooks ($24): There’s nothing better than curling up on the couch with a good book and flipping through some amazing talent. You’ll want to block off an entire Sunday morning to spend with this one.
10. The Missing Ink ($13): It’s okay to admit it. We all REALLY love technology. But we do lose the uniqueness in handwriting because of it? Check out the lost art of handwriting in this book by Philip Hensher.
Have you read any hand-lettering books recently? Share your faves in the comments below!