6 Toxin-Free Swaps for Basic Beauty Essentials
We’re in major spring cleaning mode, and that doesn’t just apply to our homes. After purging our closets, we’re tackling our beauty products, especially the ones with ingredients that could be harmful to our bodies. With a few easy swaps, you can skip the toxin buildup and keep your body healthier and happier. After sharing our must-have list of toxin-free makeup essentials, we’re revealing our favorite ways to revamp your beauty routine.
1. DIY Body Wash + Body Lotion: Say farewell to your Bath + Body Works stash and all those harmful ingredients like parabens, sulfates and triclosan. These chemicals can actually do long-term damage to your endocrine system, affecting your hormones and antibiotic resistance. Body lotions can be equally harmful, allowing high quantities of fragrance to sit on your skin. Instead, go the DIY route to incorporate more natural body wash and lotions in your routine. (via Lia Griffith)
2. Primal Pit Paste ($9): Most deodorants contain zinc and aluminum for soaking up sweat and keeping bad scents at bay. The bad part is that these chemicals have front-row seats to our body, and studies are suggesting a strong link between antiperspirant use and breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Try Primal Pit Paste for a safe alternative, or go the DIY route.
3. DIY Sunscreen: Sun damage is scary, but slathering on sunscreen with harmful ingredients isn’t much better. Chemical sunscreens are made of synthetic ingredients that are absorbed into the skin, potentially leading to skin irritation and hormone disruption. To maintain a better handle on what’s happening to your skin, try a DIY recipe the next time you head to the beach. (via Ritual)
4. Toxin-Free Nail Polish ($8): There is nothing better than a shiny manicure, but not if that polish contains chemicals like toluene and dibutyl phthalate (DBP), which are known to have detrimental effects on your body. Thankfully, there are tons of savvy brands to choose from — we’re especially big fans of Scotch.
5. DIY Toothpaste: The quest for the whitest, brightest teeth may actually be harming your health. Toothpaste contains triclosan, which slows the growth of bacteria. While this may be great for reducing gum disease, animal studies suggest the ingredient may also promote fertility problems and an increased cancer risk. To be on the safe side, try making your own. (via Weed ‘Em and Reap)
6. DIY Perfume: Our days of covering ourselves in the sweet smell of eau de Britney Spears are mostly over, and now we’re on the hunt for some more natural scents. Perfume has been linked to diabetes, thyroid disease, sperm damage and obesity. Manufacturers can use the term “fragrance” or “parfum” to hide toxic ingredients in the bottle, so watch out for those tricky ingredients. Rather than reaching for the bottle, you can use essential oils to create your own scent. (via Building 25)
Have a healthy product that you simply can’t live without? Please share in the comments below!