The Pits! 22 Natural Deodorants to Buy or DIY
Stinky? That’s the pits. We too could use some deo for the B.O., if you know what we mean… but we’re really down on all the potentially dangerous chemicals that are in just about every stick of deodorant at the drugstore. All-natural deodorants have come a long way in recent years, so you can smell as sweet as a meadow while still protecting your pits from things like aluminum, parabens, phthalates and other harsh ingredients — here are the best natural B.O. blockers to buy and DIY.
1. Dr. Hauschka’s Skin Care Deodorant ($23): Martha Stewart uses it, so should you. Dr. H is doing it right with a lightly floral-scented roll-on that uses neem and sage to care for delicate skin.
2. Lavender Coconut Deodorant: We admit it. This blog (formerly known as Henry Happened) is one of our faves. Stephanie shares a simple, easy-to-follow recipe that involves ingredients you might already have on hand. (via Hello Natural)
3. Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant ($9): Formulated without the nasty stuff, this brand comes in scents like bergamot-lime, lavender-sage and cedarwood-juniper. There’s also a fragrance-free version for extra sensitive ladies.
4. Lavanila Healthy Deodorant ($14): We love a deodorant that makes us feel safe, cared for and loved (that’s normal, right?). This one does all that, with an awesome set of smells like grapefruit, lemon and vanilla.
5. Homemade Herbal Deodorant: This DIY deo adds some interesting ingredients that will give your armpit protection an extra kick. We can’t wait to try this blend of sweet almond oil, dried herbs moisturizing butters, lime juice and beeswax. The author also recommends different chakra-friendly blends of essential oils to scent your concoction. (via Herbal Academy of New England)
6. Nourish Organic Fresh Fig Deodorant ($10): Because fresh figs are definitely good enough for your pits. And this packaging is killer.
7. Original Crystal Rock Deodorant ($7): Pure mineral salts in a handy rock form? Yup, this trick actually seems to work, as long as you buy a genuine crystal. The mineral salts are said to prevent odor by creating a thin, bacteria-proof layer on the skin. Apply right after the shower while your pits are still wet, and this little stone will last you about a year. (Bonus: You get to pick out a really cute bowl for your deodorant’s home.)
8. Weleda’s Wild Rose Deodorant Spray ($12): Organic rose leaf extract acts as gentle astringent to whisk odor away and leave you smelling like a… rose, without the risky chemicals.
9. Shea + Cocoa Butter DIY Deodorant: A dynamite deodorant recipe that’s made with shea butter, baking soda, tapioca starch, cocoa butter, vitamin E capsules and essential oils. As blogger Lexie says, “Don’t sweat it (and don’t eat it).” (Lexie’s Kitchen)
10. Earth Science Lichen Deodorant With Mint and Rosemary: Lichen plants are the key to this deodorant and help control odor along with a blend of herbs like calendula, sage, ginger, arnica and coriander. Almost sounds like a stew.
11. All-Natural Homemade Deodorant: This recipe calls for beeswax (which will help the stick keep its shape) and soothing, cooling aloe vera (which will make it feel like one of those cooling store-bought formulas without the chemicals). (via Butter Nutrition)
12. Volta Deodorant + Dusting Powder ($10 each): Lemon geranium dusting powder add extra dryness protection on super schweaty days. (via Bldg25)
13. Le Couvent des Minimes Everyday Deodorant ($14): Made for sensitive skin, the alum stone and rosemary extract help to keep you feeling a’ight all the time and won’t irritate skin even right after you shower and shave.
14. Tom’s Long-Lasting ($5): If you’re looking for a very long-lasting aluminum-less product, this one is tops and you can find it in most drugstores. We like the lemongrass scent best.
15. Homemade Deodorant for Sensitive Skin: After much trial and error, this blogger whipped up a recipe using bentonite clay that’s strong enough for her pits and her husband’s. If you don’t believe her, she will let you smell him after a long run. (via Oh Lardy)
16. The Holistic Science Company’s Odor D-fense Deodorant ($12): This aluminum-free, pH-balanced liquid deodorant has anti-bacterial, odor-fighting ingredients like witch hazel, aloe vera and mineral salt. This San Diego-made apocathery has a whole line of cool natural products.
17. Homemade Coconut Oil Deodorant: This blogger is from Florida so she knows a thing or two about heat and humidity. Coconut oil works in tandem with arrowroot powder, tea tree oil, baking soda and a little bit of lavender essential oil. You can either use your fingers to apply or wash out an old deodorant container and scoop it into a solid stick. (via Making Today Beautiful)
18. Ambre Natural Deodorant ($34): A little on the pricey end, this luxury deodorant is activated by body heat and includes ingredients like grapefruit-seed extract and probiotics to keep the healthy bacteria healthy and the odor-causing bacteria away.
19. Kiss My Face Liquid Rock ($6): A favorite of many a perspiring pal, it’s hard to believe this cucumber green tea roll-on is also one of the cheapest on our roundup.
21. Burt’s Bees Herbal Deodorant Spray ($8): Made with oil of sage, this spritzer uses nature’s best odor neutralizer to keep you smelling fresh.
22. Arm + Hammer Essentials ($4): Why overthink it? This long-standing drugstore fave is aluminum and paraben-free — and has been harnessing that baking soda power for years.
Have you used any of these products yourself? Let us know what you think in the comments!