Turn over your bottle of shampoo (or aim your Think Dirty app!) and take a peek at the ingredients list. If you spot sodium lauryl sulfate, PEGs or chlorides, step away from that bottle. In recent decades, there has been a significant surge in health-related issues that some link to exposure to toxic chemicals found in everyday products like toothpaste and face wash, and get this: No laws regulating these ingredients have been made in over 75 years. #Mindblown. Europe has banned more than 1,300 poisonous chemicals commonly used in personal care products while the US has banned a mere 11. Rather than swearing off all grooming products for life, check out these 22 non-toxic beauty products that are nourishing, gorgeously packaged and will leave you feeling good.
1. Ilia Lipsticks ($26): Free of parabens, petro-chemicals and synthetic colors, Ilia lipsticks are as natural as they come. The entire line boasts delicious smelling and healing oils like sesame, rose hip and papaya for a silky smooth finish. The on-trend colors and sleek packaging don’t hurt either!
2. Yes to Tomatoes Daily Clarifying Cleanser ($10): If you suffer from acne, chances are you’ve tried every harsh, oil-stripping and chemical-rich product under the sun. But all these products end up doing is drying out your skin and causing more dead-skin buildup which leads to, you guessed it, acne! The Yes to Tomatoes line is gentle while also containing powerful anti-oxidants that help block free radicals from damaging your skin. Peace out breakouts! Let’s just say there’s a reason we asked Say Yes’s CEO to speak at Re:Make next weekend.
3. Rahua Shampoo and Conditioner ($60): If healthy, smooth and voluminous hair is what you desire, look no further than Amazon Beauty’s Rahua shampoo and conditioner. We admit the price is a little steep, but the beauty of Rahua oil is you don’t need to wash every day. Oh, and did we mention it’s Gwyneth Paltrow-approved?
4. RGB Cosmetics Nail Polish ($18): In the mood for a neutral shade? Or maybe you’re looking to punch it up with a bold hue? Lucky you, RGB comes in a wide spectrum of shades to fit your every mani mood. And RGB’s entire collection is free of carcinogens like formaldehyde and DBP making it as healthy as it is chic!
5. Kahina Giving Beauty Night Cream ($105): This delicious-smelling restorative moisturizer isn’t your average anti-aging cream. Packed with argan oil and delicious red wine grapes, this powerful healing cream leaves your skin buttery soft, minimizes all those pesky imperfections and protects you from free radical damage.
6. Beautycounter: Ruling out more than 1,500 chemicals in their products, Beautycounter has the strictest ingredient selection in the industry. The Los Angeles-based line has quickly risen to the top of the pyramid with celebrity and industry fans like Alessandra Ambrosio and Vogue. The line has even published a “Never List” that is constantly updated and spells out ingredients that should be avoided.
7. Tom’s of Maine Toothpaste ($5): Not only is this all-natural toothpaste free of artificial dyes and scents, but it’s fluoride-free, which is a known toxin. We know what you’re thinking: Isn’t fluoride a cavity fighter? The answer is yes, but we get enough fluoride in our water system that the added amount can actually be harmful.
8. Soapwalla Deodorant Cream ($14): Deodorant is an essential toiletry that most Americans use daily. What most people don’t know is that their store-bought antiperspirants contain aluminum and petroleum which have been linked to breast cancer. Pretty scary stuff! That’s why we love Soapwalla’s Deodorant Cream, handmade in NYC with organic ingredients like lavender, peppermint and tea tree oils.
9. Yarok Hair Care: Say buh-bye to dry itchy scalps, limp hair and dried ends. Free of alcohol, parabens and sulfates, Yarok’s haircare line will leave you with the shiniest hair of your life.
10. Stark Skincare Green Tea Clay Detox ($30): Oily bumpy skin is no match for this purifying green tea mask. Detox yo’ face with these powerful and therapeutic ingredients like French green clay, apple and green tea. Sounds good enough to eat!
12. Tarte Clean Slate Poreless Perfecting Primer ($30): It’s safe to say that Tarte is one of the first beauty brands to introduce eco-chic products to the market. Formulated without mineral oils (which clog pores), phthalates and synthetic fragrances PLUS stylish packaging and award-winning lip tints? Sold! (via Tarte Cosmetics)
13. One Love Organics: What makes these pretty little products so unique is their many functions. The balm can be used as a cleanser, and with a little honey, the scrub instantly becomes a nourishing and luxurious face mask. Plus, One Love is safe enough to use on your kiddos!
14. Meow Meow Tweet: If the wildly adorable name and brilliant packaging don’t get you, then the handcrafted concoctions certainly will. The entire line is made with totally organic cold-pressed oils and wildcrafted botanicals and is 100% vegan, too. And get this – even the packaging is eco-friendly, using biodegradable labels and glass containers.
15. RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek ($36): With pigment-rich multi-use cosmetics that truly make your skin glow, it’s no wonder that RMS Beauty is a cult favorite in the beauty world. Oh, and the fact that the line was started by a celeb makeup artist doesn’t hurt either.
16. Mullein + Sparrow Body Care Gift Set ($58): Handmade in Brooklyn, Mullein + Sparrow is keeping time honored remedies well and alive with its plant-based apothecary line. Not only is this line soothing for the body and mind, but they only work with fair-trade suppliers, never use synthetic materials in their packaging and are 100% cruelty-free. This is really the gift that keeps on giving.
17. Josie Maran Cosmetics Argan Beautiful Eyes ($36): Bright colors, volumizing mascara, creamy lipsticks AND toxic-free? Sounds too good to be true, right? But wait, there’s more! The line is founded by a former model and Maybelline cover girl.
18. Morihata Binchotan Facial Puff ($16): If you haven’t jumped on the charcoal bandwagon yet, get on it, ASAP! The Binchotan Facial Puff is a cult fave and powerfully detoxifies clogged pores. It’s also a time-saver since it exfoliates and moisturizes all in one wash. Did we mention Morihata also makes an activated charcoal toothbrush, towel and eye mask?
19. Lulu Organics NYC Hair Powder ($30): Greasy hair be gone! Not only is this hair powder talc-free and certified organic, but the all-natural scents like lavender, sage and jasmine leave your mane smelling oh-so good.
20. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm ($7): A hint of a color and a whole lotta moisture is why we can’t get enough of Burt’s Bees lip balms. Made with nourishing shea butter and exotic fruits, this lip balm helps protect your lips from environmental aging (yes, your lips can get wrinkles too). And you can find it at your local drugstore. #Winning
21. Davines This Is a Sea Salt Spray ($27): Bodacious beachy hair can be yours with a spritz of this paraben-free spray. Davine’s will also donate 1% of your purchase to 1% for the Planet to support environmental charities.
22. Jason Quick Clean Makeup Remover ($9): Remove all the nitty-gritty dirt, oils and environmental pollution with just one swipe of this all-natural makeup remover. We love how it leaves our skin smooth, and since it’s alcohol-free, you won’t get that icky stinging feeling.
Ready to make a beeline for your beauty cabinet? Which safe beauty product is going on your must-have list? Tell us in the comments!