Lighten Things Up With These 13 Healthy Pop Tart Recipes
Admit it: You *kinda* love Pop Tarts. There’s nothing to feel guilty about — these sweet breakfast treats were everyone’s favorite breakfast as a kid. Now that you’re a grown-up, you may be tempted to try adding peanut butter and bacon or Cadbury Creme Eggs, but those aren’t the kind of things you can indulge in every day. This is precisely why we’re always on the lookout for healthy alternatives to all our favorite treats. Try these 13 healthy homemade Pop Tart recipes to keep things light and sweet each morning.
1. Skinny Pop Tarts: Did you know that a store-bought Pop Tart will run you about 400 calories? These skinny versions come in at just 150 cals each. We don’t make a habit of counting calories, but we do understand basic math, and those are some decent savings. (via Skinny Mom)
2. Berry Pop Tarts: These healthy little tarts are basically mini pies stuffed with fresh fruit filling. Pro Tip: To save time, invest in some store-bought whole-wheat crust. Of course, if you’re feeling particularly ambitious, you can always make your own. (via Hello Glow)
3. Vegan Berry Pop Tarts: Looking for a plant-based version of your childhood fave? These vegan treats have you covered. Just use Earth Balance or a similar vegan alternative in your baking. (via Minimalist Baker)
4. Paleo Pop Tarts: In addition to being Paleo-friendly, these babies are also AIP-friendly (that’s Autoimmune Protocol, if you didn’t know) and nut-free. Basically, if you have any kind of digestive issue or food sensitivity, these are a safe, healthy bet. And, of course, they’re full of yummy berry deliciousness! (via Predominantly Paleo)
5. Homemade Whole Grain Pop Tarts: These SUPER yummy tarts prove food doesn’t have to be naughty to be completely delish — just look at that flaky crust! If you want to make these ahead of time, we recommend freezing them un-cooked and then popping them in the oven the morning of. (via Hello Bee)
6. Healthier, Homemade Pop Tarts: All you low-carb lovers out there will definitely want to whip up a batch of these lightened-up treats. They’re made with almond and oat flour (which dramatically lowers their carb count) as well as calorie-free stevia. (via Healthy Indulgences)
7. Gluten-Free Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts: Gluten-free AND vegan?! We think we’re in heaven. These uber-healthy treats will satisfy pretty much everyone (even those who think health foods can’t be yummy). Bonus points for using cookie cutters to make them into cute little heart shapes. (via Allergy Free Alaska)
8. Paleo Raspberry Pop Tarts: Here’s another option for all you primal eaters out there. Fresh raspberries serve as the base for these delightful and totally healthy pop tarts. Lazy girl hack: If you don’t feel like making your filling from scratch, you can use a no-sugar-added local jam. (via A Girl Worth Saving)
9. Grain-Free Gluten-Free Hand Pie Pop Tarts: The title is a mouthful, and you’ll coincidentally have your mouth full of these yummy breakfast pastries. They’re made with grain-free cassava flour, which comes from a South American root vegetable. Nothing wrong with being healthy AND exotic. (via Kyra Bussanich)
10. Healthy Homemade Pop Tarts: These gluten-free tarts are super delicious, and they closely resemble the texture and flavor of store-bought Pop Tarts. The big difference is that they’re homemade, natural and totally healthy. Unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil and strawberry fruit spread seal the deal. (via Desserts With Benefits)
11. Homemade Brown Sugar-Cinnamon Oatmeal Pop Tarts: If you’re an oatmeal cookie kind of guy or gal, you’ll LOVE these sweet treats. You can sub butter for shortening if you’d like, but shortening gives these babies their flakey texture. (via Salad in a Jar)
12. Healthy Pop Tarts: Did you know that store-bought Pop Tarts often contain high-fructose corn syrup, food dyes, preservatives and artificial flavoring? This healthy alternative contains ZERO of those ingredients — instead, it’s made with whole grain flour, fresh fruit and maple syrup. (via Chocolate Covered Katie)
13. Homemade Vegan Gluten Free Pop Tarts: You definitely don’t have to sacrifice flavor with these bad boys. The tarts themselves are made with applesauce, coconut oil and oat flour, but it’s the fillings that really make these special. Choose from strawberry, chocolate cookie or brown sugar cinnamon. (via Mind Over Munch)
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy breakfast ideas!