12 Reasons We Still Love Hello Kitty (Even If She’s Not a Cat)
This just in: Hello Kitty is NOT a cat. Seriously. What does that even mean?! Reported by the LA Times as part of covering Hello Kitty’s upcoming LA tour, Sanrio has revealed that Hello Kitty is actually a little girl.
Christine R. Yano, an anthropologist who worked on a Hello Kitty exhibition in Japan talks about how when she described Hello Kitty as a cat, she was quickly corrected by Sanrio.
“That’s one correction Sanrio made for my script for the show. Hello Kitty is not a cat. She’s a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She’s never depicted on all fours. She walks and sits like a two-legged creature. She does have a pet cat of her own, however, and it’s called Charmmy Kitty. She has a twin sister. She’s a perpetual third-grader. She lives outside of London. I could go on.”
A 40-year-old iconic kitty who is not a cat? Mind = blown. But you know what? We still love Hello Kitty, and here are a dozen reasons why she makes a great bestie.
1. You Can Wear Her Sunglasses at Night: This kitty’s all about sass, and that includes rocking some serious shade even under the stars. These Wayfarer Style Kitty Sunglasses ($8) come in about a million colors so you can pick a different pair for every outfit.
2. She’ll Shelter You From the Storm: Heading out on a rainy day? Add a little whimsy to the scene by rocking this Diva Collection Umbrella ($45). It’s got just the right amount of playfulness to battle any storm.
3. She Can Help You Be ’70s-Style Cool: Ready to go seriously retro? Born in 1974, this cool cat’s all about the classics. Wear these Hello Kitty Moxi Roller Skates ($199) to your next roller disco and you’ll be groovin’ in no time.
4. She Will Keep You Warm: This Hello Kitty Snood ($32) is so snuggly, just Like Miss Kitty White.
5. You Can Ask Her to Take Your Picture: Forget your phone — take some instant photographs with this Hello Kitty Fuji Instax ($38) and you’ve got instant wall decor.
6. She’s a Part-Time Model: This chick is all about style experimentation, whether she’s channeling Kiss or turning herself into an Ugly Doll. See more of her crazy looks in the Sanrio x Rizzoli Hello Kitty Book ($65).
7. She’ll Give You a Makeover: Need a touch up? Keep this Happy Fun Hello Kitty Palette ($17) in your purse and you can spruce up your look in a matter of minutes.
9. She’s a Great Brunch Host: Make a short stack of cuteness with this Hello Kitty Pancake Maker ($30).
10. She’ll Keep All Your Coins in Order: And if coins aren’t your jam, this is a great Polka Dot Coin Purse ($7) to store bobby pins, lip gloss and other everyday essentials.
11. She Understands Hipster Trends: Never one to shy away from trends, Kitty’s all about rocking a Hello Kitty Stars Bandana ($9) on a hot summer day, just because it makes her look tough.
12. You Can Be Her at a Pajama Party: You go to pajama parties, right? Well, this Pink Leopard Hello Kitty Onesie ($80) is purrrrr-fect.
Brit + Co TIME MACHINE MOMENT: Back when we first launched, the site was called HelloBrit.com. And you know what I would say when I entered our two-person office (aka Brit’s dining room)? Hello Britty! ;)
Share YOUR favorite Hello Kitty memory below!