20 Very Merry Baby Names Perfect for Holiday Births
‘Tis the season for sweaters, gifts (take a peek at our ample gift guides for good ideas), and sweet treats, like this holiday rainbow cookie cake, and for some who are expecting, it’s also the time to decide on a unique baby name. Whether you’re preparing for a holiday birth or just adding to your baby name wish list, you’re going to love how merry and bright these names will make you feel. While these monikers all have a seasonal spirit, they’re still perfectly suited for a brand new bundle of joy born any day of the year.
1. Holly: From Holly Hobby to Holly Golightly, this name conjures up images of sweet, whimsical, headstrong women steeped in classic American pop culture history. It’s also, of course, a flowering plant with a very pretty berry associated with the holiday season.
2. Noel or Noelle: French for “Christmas,” Noel is a beautiful word associated with the peace and joy of the holiday. And depending on how it’s pronounced, it’s commonly known as both a boy and girl’s name.
3. Joy: It doesn’t get much simpler than this when it comes to naming a baby after the very emotion it’s bringing into the world. Bonus points for brevity!
4. Carol: Naming your kid after a joyous piece of music? Sweet indeed. Oh, just think of all the puns you can make with those birth announcements (“Here we come a-Carol-ing…”)
5. Leila, Laila or Layla: Hebrew for the word “night,” this lovely trio of names bring to mind both a classic rock anthem and the calmness of each evening of Hanukkah. Versatile, no?
6. December: As all-encompassing as a holiday name can get, this quirky name stands out in a crowd with its distinctive sound and a hint of twinkle in there too.
7. January: Sure, we’ve all heard of January Jones, but the name is lovely because it’s the first month of the year and a promise of new beginnings.
8. Natalia: Meaning “Christmas Day” in Latin, this word conjures up festive images from around the world — namely Italy, Romania, Spain, Portugal, Greek, Russia, Ukraine and Poland: all places where it still means exactly the same thing.
9. Cinnamon: It’s the signature spice of the holiday season, and even the word itself sounds cozy and wonderful. (Granted, we’re a little biased since one of our very own Brit + Co contributors has the very same name!)
10. Joseph: Whether he grows up to be Joe, Joey or just J, any little one born with this name is going to have lots of ways to abbreviate it.
11. Angel: Pure and sweet, this name couldn’t be more perfect to bestow on a newborn. After all, that’s exactly what each one is… before diaper duty kicks in, anyway.
12. Mary: For new parents who are holiday traditionalists, it doesn’t get any more Christmas-inspired than Mary herself.
13. Merry: For parents who are less traditional but every bit as in love with the holidays, this is a very cool alternative. Plus, it just brings to mind a very happy, jolly time of year.
14. Gabrielor Gabrielle: All babies are angelic, so what’s better than the Hebrew name of one very important celestial messenger in a seriously famous story?
15. Bell: Particularly perfect for new parents in search of a name with a certain ring to it (pun intended), this name has subtle holiday ties, but is also generally pretty any time of year. Also, it’s a departure from the more conventional spelling of “Belle,” which means beautiful in French.
16. Rosemary: Who doesn’t love the chic beauty of a tiny rosemary bush doubling as a holiday tree? This fragrant herb is found throughout all sorts of natural holiday decor, and it’s an old-school name with lots of vintage charm.
17. Eve: Classic and beautiful, this name carries both the verve of a 1950s screen goddess and the natural wonder of a sunset. It’s also an amazing name for someone born on December 24 or 31. Just saying.
18. Shamash: A Hebrew word meaning “attendant,” this word describes the highest candle in a menorah, used to light the other candles. The beautifully symbolic name is a touching tribute to a family’s spiritual heritage.
19. Claus: Greek for “people’s victory,” this name can be pronounced more like “Klauss” than “Clause,” giving a subtle nod to the jolly man with the sleigh while maintaining some shred of schoolyard dignity.
20. Rudolph: Sure, it’s a little on the nose (see what we did there?) but hey, it worked just fine for Valentino and Giuliani, both of whom grew up to be leaders in their fields… just like a certain red-nosed reindeer we’ve all heard stories about.
What’s your favorite holiday-inspired name? Tweet us @britandco!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.