Conquer Daylight Savings With 14 Morning Tips from IKEA
If we know anything about IKEA (except that we can’t live without them/they seriously need to redo those instruction manuals) it’s that they want you to feel good at home. Those giant blue and yellow warehouses are oozing with ideas on how to live a lifestyle that’s both comfortable and efficient. The Swedish furniture giant has now taken their mission to the next level with a new program they’ve dubbed First: 59.
1. Listen to a Podcast. Instead of the morning news, which is often viewed online during the day, why not listen to a podcast on a topic that you’d like to know more about? It’s a great way to start your day on a positive note.
2. Let in the light. When you make up, immediately open the window shades. The natural light on your skin is a great way to prepare for the day. It not only alerts your senses, but warms you up.
3. Embrace the Cold. A quick cold water facial rinse is one of the best ways to awaken your mind and senses. This ‘ayurvedic’ practice has been around for thousands of years and is a simple, effective way to prepare your body and soul for your day.
4. Plan Your Outfits Ahead of Time. Take advantage of laundry day to get a head start on the week ahead. As you fold, pick out outfits for the kids for the entire week to help with each day’s morning routine.
5. Skip the Late Night Coffee. A post-dinner cappuccino is a special treat, but it may be causing you to miss a couple hours of sleep. Abstaining from these delights may be tough, but if you’re having trouble falling asleep, you should examine your caffeine intake and make appropriate changes.
6. Keep Things Colorful. Seeing a splash of color when you open your eyes gets your adrenaline going and makes it easier to wake up. Give your bedroom a boost by choosing cheerful bed linens and colorful pillows to start your day in a more positive frame of mind.
7. Plan Ahead. Take a few minutes to review the “to-do” list for the next day. Do you have an exercise class scheduled that requires special clothes to be packed? An early morning meeting that requires arriving to work extra early? Get an overview of the next day and spend a few minutes before bedtime getting clothes and alarm clocks synced for the activities ahead.
8. Account For a Bit of Solo Time. Try waking up earlier than the rest of the household so you can have a few minutes to yourself. An early morning yoga sesh or conquering a chapter of that book you’re working on is sure to get your day going in the right direction.
9. Stay Organized. To make it easier to find what you need when getting ready, use clear storage options to display clothes, accessories and more. Shelf solutions with glass displays are a great way to start.
10. Keep a Designated Workspace. 50% of Americans surveyed admit to working or studying to start out their weekday morning. If you are one of them, having a designated and organized space to concentrate may help you be more productive.
11. Don’t Skip the Pillow Talk. Discuss the next day’s events with your spouse to avoid any confusion during a busy morning time. By communicating your plans and intentions for the following day, you’ll go to bed confident as to what tasks are expected of you and your partner and you will avoid the frustrations of planning at the last minute.
12. Eat Breakfast Last. If your kids tend to lose track of time while chatting at the table, have them dressed and ready for the day before they sit down for breakfast. By having everyone washed up and dressed, you wont have to worry about rushing them through their meal.
13. Step Outside. If you have a yard or even a tiny balcony or terrace, put it to good use! Spending a few minutes in the morning outside helps wake up your body. The sunlight and fresh air signals that it’s time to start the day.
14. Keep all digital devices and screens out of the bedroom. By removing all screens you wont be tempted to check your email or watch a quick show, which leads to sleep deprivation. If you don’t feel comfortable leaving your phone out of the room entirely, store it inside your nightstand so you’re not tempted to use it.
Which of these tips resonates with you the most? Any you’re going to start using? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.