13 New IKEA Hacks to Try for Fall
As summer ends, we start finding ourselves indoors more often, preferably with something pumpkin-spice related and a good craft project. Summer was all about perking up our outdoor spaces, but fall has us back inside and scrutinizing every IKEA object we own. Whether you’re swapping out your cocktail tray for a hot drink bar or you want to DIY a side table to create a reading nook, these 13 hacks will have your home looking fall ready in no time.
1. Cozy Seating: Fall makes us want all-cozy-everything, including our dining seating. Buy a few inexpensive sheepskin rugs and cut them into new cushions to bring Nordic vibes to your dining room. (via Frk Hansen)
3. Drink Tray: Fall is one of the best seasons for hot drinks — hello, pumpkin spice everything. Learn how to make a minimalist, heat-resistant trivet tray using an IKEA basic, glue and rope. Now if we could just find a tea set that cool. (via Dream Green DIY)
4. Scandi Stand: Organize your clutter with this three-tiered stand that definitely has enough room for all your trinkets. Put it in the kitchen to store spices or use it on your vanity to store perfume and jewelry. (via Curbly)
6. Pencil Holder: Even if you didn’t go back to school this fall, a new season definitely warrants some spiffy desk accessories. Add pop of color to your stationery box with this quick hack and then fill it up with some colorful DIY pencils. (via Passion Shake)
7. Copper End Table: This super-easy project uses a tray from IKEA and a vintage camping stool. Stay on trend by painting the tray copper and set up a mini reading nook to enjoy during the cold months ahead. (via Poppy Talk)
8. Air Plant Rack: Just because summer is over doesn’t mean you have to quit your garden. Follow this simple DIY ikea hack to create a hanging rail for your air plants and bring life to your bathroom or office. (via Gathered Cheer)
10. Play Kitchen Makeover: Summer weather is gone, so those little ones are going to be spending a lot more time inside. Keep them preoccupied with a mini kitchen of their own. (via Visual Vocabularie)
11. Knotted Lamp Cord: Pendant lights are trendy, but sometimes that dangling wire can be distracting. Cover it up with a cool rope cover that adds character to your breakfast nook. (via Design Sponge)
12. Leaf Embroidered Pillow: Have you taken those summer throw pillows off your couch yet? Maybe it’s time to add some fall decor to your favorite napping spot with this IKEA pillow hack. (via The Golden Sycamore)
13. Colored Lanterns: Halloween shouldn’t be the only time to decorate your outdoor space. Give your porch some theatrical lighting all season long by coloring the glass in the IKEA lanterns. (via IKEA Hackers)
What home decor projects are you tackling this fall? Talk to us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.