13 New IKEA Hacks to Try for Fall
As summer ends, we start finding ourselves indoors more often, preferably with something pumpkin-spice related and a good craft project. Summer was all about perking up our outdoor spaces, but fall has us back inside and scrutinizing every IKEA object we own. Whether you’re swapping out your cocktail tray for a hot drink bar or you want to DIY a side table to create a reading nook, these 13 hacks will have your home looking fall ready in no time.
1. Cozy Seating: Fall makes us want all-cozy-everything, including our dining seating. Buy a few inexpensive sheepskin rugs and cut them into new cushions to bring Nordic vibes to your dining room. (via Frk Hansen)
3. Drink Tray: Fall is one of the best seasons for hot drinks — hello, pumpkin spice everything. Learn how to make a minimalist, heat-resistant trivet tray using an IKEA basic, glue and rope. Now if we could just find a tea set that cool. (via Dream Green DIY)
4. Scandi Stand: Organize your clutter with this three-tiered stand that definitely has enough room for all your trinkets. Put it in the kitchen to store spices or use it on your vanity to store perfume and jewelry. (via Curbly)
6. Pencil Holder: Even if you didn’t go back to school this fall, a new season definitely warrants some spiffy desk accessories. Add pop of color to your stationery box with this quick hack and then fill it up with some colorful DIY pencils. (via Passion Shake)
7. Copper End Table: This super-easy project uses a tray from IKEA and a vintage camping stool. Stay on trend by painting the tray copper and set up a mini reading nook to enjoy during the cold months ahead. (via Poppy Talk)
8. Air Plant Rack: Just because summer is over doesn’t mean you have to quit your garden. Follow this simple DIY ikea hack to create a hanging rail for your air plants and bring life to your bathroom or office. (via Gathered Cheer)
10. Play Kitchen Makeover: Summer weather is gone, so those little ones are going to be spending a lot more time inside. Keep them preoccupied with a mini kitchen of their own. (via Visual Vocabularie)
11. Knotted Lamp Cord: Pendant lights are trendy, but sometimes that dangling wire can be distracting. Cover it up with a cool rope cover that adds character to your breakfast nook. (via Design Sponge)
12. Leaf Embroidered Pillow: Have you taken those summer throw pillows off your couch yet? Maybe it’s time to add some fall decor to your favorite napping spot with this IKEA pillow hack. (via The Golden Sycamore)
13. Colored Lanterns: Halloween shouldn’t be the only time to decorate your outdoor space. Give your porch some theatrical lighting all season long by coloring the glass in the IKEA lanterns. (via IKEA Hackers)
What home decor projects are you tackling this fall? Talk to us in the comments below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.