Whether you eat meat on the regular or prefer to avoid it, there are tons of delicious ways to add iron to your diet. Here, we’ve gathered 16 tasty recipes featuring more than just spinach and beef that’ll help keep anemia at bay. We’re talking legumes, chicken, pork, leafy greens and so much more. To stave off dietary boredom, we made sure to include a diverse assortment of flavors so you can feel good about planning a whole week’s worth (or more) of meals using this collection as your guide.
1. Lemon Butter Chicken: Chicken thighs are a better source of iron than the typical breasts, and these golden, crisp-tender pieces enrobed in a creamy lemon butter sauce will definitely hit the spot. (via Damn Delicious)
3. Thai Larb: Make these flavorful wraps with chicken breasts, thighs or even pork. It may not be traditional, but feel free to up your iron intake by swapping out the iceberg lettuce for collard green leaves. (via Bon Appétit)
4. Smokey Black Bean Tostadas (Vegan, Gluten-Free): These healthy tostadas top crisp, faux-fried corn tortillas with creamy black beans, spinach and a smokey garlic sauce. No one will even miss the meat. (via Delish Knowledge)
6. Coconut-Braised Chicken Thighs With Kale and Sweet Potatoes: Who knew superfoods could taste so good? You only need five ingredients and one pan to throw it all together. (via My Modern Cookery)
9. Chili-Rubbed Flank Steak With Chimichurri Sauce: Herbal, kicky chimichurri is a delicious accompaniment for slices of this spice-rubbed flank steak. Leftovers make a delicious sandwich or salad topper the next day. (via Joyful Healthy Eats)
12. 5-Ingredient Apricot, Prune and Walnut Energy Bites: Enjoy popping these healthy bites when you need a little extra pep in your step during the day. With their sweet taste, they’ll help satisfy any candy cravings. (via The Gold Lining Girl)
13. Spiced Coconut Dal (Vegetarian): Cooking already nutritious lentils with a host of spices provides them with a delightful addition of antioxidants. Make this dal a meal by serving it layered with sautéed spinach and tempeh — two terrific, meatless sources of iron. (via Poppies and Papayas)
14. Beer and Balsamic Braised Pork Cavatappi: A bowlful of this pasta tangled with super tender shredded pork will certainly put you in a good mood. Select enriched noodles for an extra dose of vitamins and minerals. (via Cooking for Keeps)
15. Black Bean Edamame Burger: The combo of black beans and edamame along with mushrooms, grains and vegetables gives these veggie burgers fantastic flavor and texture. Even omnivores are sure to find them satisfying. (via Hip Foodie Mom)
16. Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free): The chickpeas and almond butter found in these guilt-free cookies are two sneaky sources of the good stuff. To satisfy intense chocolate cravings, feel free to add an extra helping of morsels to the batter. (via Brit + Co)
What are some of your favorite iron-rich recipes or foods? Share with us below!