5 Things to Know About the Teen Changing the Trans Conversation
Laverne Cox and Caitlyn Jenner may be the most recognizable faces in the transgender community at the moment, but they are far from the only two transgender stars making names for themselves in the world.
After first experiencing gender dysphoria at the age of three, recognizing she didn’t identify with her assigned-at-birth male gender, Jazz’s parents allowed her to dress in girl’s clothing at her fifth birthday party and she has been living as her true self ever since. Aside from being brave for speaking up about her gender identity and being lucky enough to have supportive parents, she’s living her life as a normal teenager these days. Well, she may be a little more busy than the average teen (and even adult). When she’s not sharing snaps of her mermaid ensembles, documenting her hair process (like every lady we know) and being a true TBT Queen on Instagram, she’s busy with plenty of other projects. Check out a handful of Jazz hands-inducing ventures this inspiring lady has going on below.
1. She’s a Must-Follow YouTuber: Jazz is busy documenting her life on social media. Instead of taking endless selfies and snapping food porn day in and day out, this inspirational gal is uploading videos on her YouTube channel discussing topics revolving around transgender people, Q+As and, of course, random singing videos. She is a teenager, after all ;)
2. She Loves a DIY Project: Okay, Jazz is seriously a girl after our own heart. The future (current?) homemaker LOVES to DIY. You can catch a couple video tutorials on her YouTube channel where she makes mermaid shell bras, some New Year’s decorations and more or head to her Instagram to just see the final product. Either way, we want to do some making with you, Jazz.
3. She’s an Author: Yeah, she may only be 14 but that doesn’t stop her from adding author to her rez. I Am Jazz is based on the real-life experiences Jazz has gone through, written for children to be a voice for trans kids and their parents. Or you know, to teach little ones about being open-minded to every individual out there. <3 Fingers crossed we get a teen then adult-version memoir in the near future.
4. She’s an Activist: Already busy promoting transgender rights and equality as a teenager, Jazz has posed for the NOH8 Campaign and spoken at HRC and Equality Florida (among many others) galas. It’s really no wonder this young activist earned a spot on TIME’s Most Influential Teens of 2014 list. (Photo via Adam Bouska/NoH8 Campaign)
5. She’s a Spokesmodel: Showing that the best version of an individual is their true self, Jazz is currently a spokesmodel for the Clean + Clear #SeetheRealMe campaign. Here’s to expanding that portfolio real soon, sis.
How amazing + inspiring is this 14-year-old lady? Share your thoughts in the comments.
(Photo via Andrew H. Walker/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)