Swap Your Traditional Casserole for This Keto Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered depending on size
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4-6 ounces bacon, cut into lardon size (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces grated smoked gouda cheese
- 8 ounces grated low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat 3-4 tablespoons olive oil in a large, shallow skillet or Dutch oven over high heat.
Once oil is hot, carefully place the Brussels sprouts into the pan without stirring initially. Cook the sprouts for about 15 minutes, stirring very infrequently so the sprouts char on at least a couple sides. Remove sprouts; set aside.
Add the bacon to the pan; sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until bacon is slightly crispy.
Remove bacon onto a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
Reduce heat to medium. Add the onion to the bacon fat in the skillet. Sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring often, or until onions have softened and caramelized a little.
Add the heavy cream, sour cream, gouda, mozzarella, and feta; stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low once cheese melts.
Transfer the Brussels sprouts back to the skillet with the cheese sauce; stir to combine. If the sauce seems too thick, stir in more heavy cream little by little. Season with the garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Garnish the Brussels sprouts with the reserved bacon. Serve immediately.