Comfort Food Looks Like This Cauliflower Rice Keto Casserole Recipe
When it comes to keto recipes, we like ours to taste just as warm, comforting, and delicious as the real thing. And keto casserole recipes are the perfect way to accomplish just that, because they're chock full of ingredients so hearty and satiating, it's hard to tell that anything (namely: carbs) are missing. Enter this keto Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Casserole, our new favorite comfort food dish.
Keto Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese, plus 1 cup for casserole topping
- 1 1/2 cups Italian blend shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup high quality grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces cauliflower rice
- 5 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
- 12 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups diced zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 2 cups loosely packed shredded lacinato kale (about 1 small bunch)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced sweet onion (about 1 large onion) or sliced leek
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced into small chunks
- basil or other fine herbs, to garnish (optional)
Prepare a 9×13-inch baking dish by spraying it with a nonstick spray. Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the goat cheese, 1/2 cup Gouda, Italian blend cheese, grated parmesan, sour cream, heavy cream, eggs, herbes de provence, granulated garlic, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper, and cauliflower rice. Whisk to combine. Don’t worry if the goat cheese doesn’t completely incorporate.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet (or cast iron pan) over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms; sauté for about 10 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove mushrooms from pan into the mixing bowl of cream mixture.
Heat another 1 tablespoon of oil for about 30 seconds. Add the zucchini; sauté for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove zucchini from pan into the mixing bowl of cream mixture.
Heat another 1 tablespoon of oil for about 30 seconds. Add the kale; sauté briefly for just a couple minutes, stirring frequently. Remove kale from pan into the mixing bowl of cream mixture.
Heat another 1 tablespoon of oil for about 30 seconds. Add the onion and a small pinch of salt; sauté for about 15 minutes, stirring often. Remove onion from pan into the mixing bowl of cream mixture.
Heat the last 1 tablespoon of oil for about 30 seconds. Add the chicken breast; sauté for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan into the mixing bowl of cream mixture.
Stir all the ingredients thoroughly together.
Pour it all into the casserole dish and smooth over the top. Top the casserole with the 1 remaining cup of shredded Gouda cheese.
Bake casserole for 45 minutes or until browned and bubbly. (Ours didn’t bubble over the edge, but it might be wise to place baking dish on a sheet tray in case this happens.)
Carefully remove from the oven; let cool for a few minutes and serve immediately. Garnish with fine herbs (optional).
This article has been updated.
- Easy Keto Dinner Ideas — Brit + Co - Brit + Co ›
- Keto Comfort Food Looks Like This Chicken and Cauliflower Rice ... ›
- Swap Your Traditional Casserole for This Keto Cheesy Brussels ... ›
- 14 Make-Ahead Keto Casserole Recipes That Make Dinner a ... ›
- 18 Black Rice Recipes That Will Make You Crave the *Forbidden* Grain - Brit + Co ›