11 Ways Beauty Bloggers Use Lavender in Their Beauty Routines
We are huge fans of anything that can make our skin happier and healthier, especially if it’s budget friendly. Add in a little eco-friendliness and we’re totally down. So far, we’ve covered beauty and skincare uses for apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Next on the list? Lavender.
1. Lavender Oatmeal Face Mask: After a long, hot summer, skin is often left as exhausted as we are. Give your skin a well-deserved pampering with this easy DIY mask from Julie of Julip Made. “Mix dried powdered buttermilk, cornmeal, oatmeal and dried lavender,” Julie says. “In a small bowl, mix approximately 2 tablespoons of the dry mix with the essential oil, honey and a splash of water. Use enough water to form the mask into a paste.” Spread this good-smelling paste on your skin and let sit for a few minutes while it works its magic. Remove with lukewarm water and follow up with your favorite moisturizer.
2. Anxiety-Busting Lavender Essential Oil: For many of us, periods cause anxiety and a general bad mood. When switching your habits during that time of the month isn’t enough, give lavender essential oil a try. Our friends at Bustle recommend surrounding yourself with lavender-scented candles or even putting lavender oil on your pillowcase to help you chill out.
3. Lavender Oatmeal Bath: Calm dry or itchy skin with a lavender oatmeal bath. Batty of Batty’s Blog says, “Place two tablespoons of dried lavender and two tablespoons of oatmeal in a muslin bag.” Add your creation to a warm bath, light some lavender candles and relax.
4. Raw Honey + Lavender Face Mask: Like us, Eva of Happily Eva After enjoys a good pampering now and then. Pamper yourself with her DIY mask. “In a small bowl, combine one tablespoon of raw honey and three drops of lavender oil,” Eva says. “Stir well to combine. Smooth mixture over a clean, damp face and neck. Leave on for five to fifteen minutes.”
5. Lavender Face Moisturizer: When she learned her face moisturizer contained toxins, Carly of Modern Hippie Housewife turned to a combination of shea butter, coconut oil, beeswax, vitamin E and lavender essential oil. Her moisturizer has hugely improved her skin. Carly says, “Since using this moisturizer, my skin feels SO soft and has fewer breakouts, and the eczema around my nose and on my eyelids that I’ve had for years has disappeared!”
6. Scalp Massage Oil: Lavender is also a savior for anyone looking to attain healthier locks. Almasi of Kinky Curly Coily Me says that it can promote hair growth and heal damaged hair. They recommend combining lavender essential oil, coconut oil and jojoba and massaging into your scalp. “Do this at least once a day for the best results,” Almasi says.
7. Rosemary Lavender Salt Scrub: Tracey of Don’t Mess With Mama swears by her salt scrub as a means of exfoliating skin — it also works great as an easy gift! “Lavender essential oil is soothing to the skin and has a calming aroma, making it a perfect addition to any beauty or body care product,” Tracey says. “In a large bowl, add Epsom salt, coconut oil, lavender essential oil and cut rosemary leaves. Mix well.”
8. Coconut Lavender Conditioner: Oh, coconut oil. We could never forget about you. Free People combines coconut oil with lavender, vitamin E oil and jojoba oil for a long-lasting and moisturizing conditioner for thirsty hair. Simply mix it all together and apply like you would regular conditioner.
9. Avocado Lavender Face Mask: Avocado is super yummy, and when combined with lavender, its natural good-for-skin benefits are amped up. Isabel of Isabel Smith Nutrition says, “The avocado is loaded with moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties, the lavender essential oil is cooling and soothing, the lemon is refreshing and the honey not only helps to hold it all together, but also contains anti-bacterial properties that will help to leave your face feeling clean and refreshed.” To create her face mask, combine avocado, lavender, honey and lemon and mix with a fork. Leave the mixture on your face for 10 minutes, and then remove with warm water.
10. Lavender Sugar Scrub: Essential oils are full of superb uses for skin, and bloggers Alyssa & Carla will be the first to say that a lavender sugar scrub is an instant fave. To make, “Combine sugar and oil together in a bowl, starting with just the one cup of oil. If you think the mix is a little dry, add an extra glug of oil (about a tablespoon).” Add as much or as little lavender essential oil to the mix as you like.
11. Lavender Lotion Bars: If you’re looking for an easy answer to cracked skin, try giving these adorable lotion bars a try. Jillee, founder of One Good Thing by Jillee, swears by these as a solution for her dry skin (and her son’s)! To make this on-the-go moisturizer, Jillee says, “Add beeswax, coconut oil and shea butter to a glass jar and set in a small saucepan full of water. Melt slowly over low heat.” Next, mix in the lavender oil. Add to the mold and let them cool for about 20 minutes.
Which lavender DIY are you going to try first? Tell us about the results in the comments below!
(Featured image via Sholar Center)