These Lisa Frank-Inspired Leopard Print Donuts Will Make You Go Wild
While reminiscing about the ’90s, I couldn’t resist bringing my childhood dreams alive by creating these rainbow leopard print Lisa Frank donuts. Inspired by cookie queen SweetAmbs, these baked fluffy cake donuts are so easy to make, you don’t even need an electric mixer! Make a donut tower, take them to your next Lisa Frank-inspired birthday party or put them on your own DIY Lisa Frank milkshake — that’s if you don’t eat them first!
FUNFETTI BAKED CAKE DONUTS
Makes 14 medium size donuts
— 1 + 1/4 cup self-rising flour
— 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
— 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
— 1/3 cup caster sugar
— 1 egg
— 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
— 1/3 cup milk
— 1/4 cup sour cream
— 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
— 1/3 cup rainbow sprinklesIcing/Glaze:
— 4 cups icing sugar
— 1/2 cup milk
— 1 + 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
— food coloring: pink, yellow, green, blue, purpleInstructions:
To make donuts:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease donut pans. Sift flour, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk egg, sour cream, sugar, milk, oil and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients, mixing until just incorporated. Gently fold in rainbow sprinkles — do not over mix batter!
NOTE: The sprinkles I used didn’t hold well in the oven, which resulted in a bumpy surface. Using better quality sprinkles will solve this problem.
3. Transfer batter into a large piping bag and cut a hole at the tip. Fill donut pans halfway full, and bake for 9-11 minutes, or when toothpick comes out clean.
4. Leave donuts in pans for approximately five minutes before transferring them onto a cooling rack, and allow donuts to cool completely before decorating.
5. To make icing: Sift icing sugar into a bowl, then gradually add in milk until you’ve reached your desired consistency. Add in vanilla extract and mix well. Separate glaze between seven small bowls, and dye each into the desired colors.
Rainbow background: pink, yellow, green, blue and purple.
Leopard print details: hot pink and dark purple. Transfer icing into piping bags.
6. To decorate: Place donuts on a cooling rack, with a baking tray underneath to catch the drips. Pipe the five different colors of glazing onto the donuts to create a rainbow, then add hot pink spots at random in a variety of different sizes. To complete the leopard print, outline the pink spots with the dark purple icing.
These taste best within the first day, but can be kept in an airtight container for up to three days at room temperature.
Remember to only fill the donut pans around halfway full.Transfer the donuts onto a rack to cool completely before decorating.
Place your icing in piping bags so you have more control when glazing the donuts. Now create some magic with those pastel tones. Time to add in the finer details – first up, pink spots!
They’re almost complete! Finish them off with dark purple outlines.
And there you have it! Colorful (and mouth watering) leopard print donuts — I hope Lisa Frank approves!
Stack ’em up!
How cute are they? You might want to admire them a little before taking a bite… But that won’t last long. They look, smell and taste divine. Yum!
Show us your creative donut creations by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtags #bcfoodie + #britstagram!