Make Your Own Mermaid Oasis in 5 Steps
Alright, the internet has called it — mermaid decor is officially a thing! While we’re more than thrilled to be jumping ship for clear blue waters and adorning our homes with undersea whosits and whatsits galore, we realize that there’s a fine line between the overly cartoonish mermaid decor of your six-year-old niece’s bedroom and yours. So, here to fulfill your dreams of being a shimmery mermaid AND a grown-ass lady at the same time, we’ve put together a magical (yet mature) mermaid bedroom in five simple DIYs.
Get me a book and I’m parked here for the day! Keep scrollin’ to see which pieces we DIYed to get this dreamy aquatic look (for grown ups!) on the cheap.
1. Scaled Curtain Headboard: Who needs headboards when you can make this easy breezy curtain for way less? With 30 minutes and some sheer fabrics, transform your room into a dreamy escape to help you wind down and get some serious Zzzzz’s.
2. Faux Coral: Coral is the new cacti, but news flash: Coral is a rare, endangered species that we probs shouldn’t be pulling out of the ocean all the time. Luckily, you can make your own environmentally responsible coral out of air-dry clay (YES the stuff in the kid’s craft aisle!) that looks pretty spot on.
3. Vinyl Waves Side Table: Plain glass-top side table, meet transparent vinyl! Turns out the stuff that covers office and car windows makes a GREAT upgrade to glass furniture, and comes in a variety of colors and opalescent finishes.
4. Chunky Arm Knit Blanket: We won’t mind getting caught up in this net. Learn how to turn lush, super bulky yarn into a cozy throw with just your own two arms.
5. Mermaid Sequin Pillow: This one is genius and only requires one main material, sequin fabric, to create a shimmery accent piece and the most fun a pillow could possibly be.
WHAT. ARE. YOU. WAITING. FOR. If you call yourself a land mermaid at all, get yourself some supplies and recreate this look all for yourself in a weekend or less!
DIY + Styling: Lindsay Saito, Lee Schellenberger + Cassidy Miller
Photography: Brittany Griffin
Hair + Makeup: Misty Spinney
Model: Stephanie Carmassi