What to Make This Weekend: Mini Zen Garden, Pom Pom Picnic Blanket + More
With May comin’ in hot this weekend, there are a few projects to keep you busy prepping before the warmer season whisks us away to happy land. We’ve got a gold bar cart project to make sure your Cinco de Mayo drinks are served in style. And we can’t forget about Mother’s Day, which definitely warrants a thoughtful, handmade gift that will win you “Best Child” award. So whether you’re in need of a special something for your mama or you’re just looking for new inspo for more pom pom placement, we’ve got you covered. Here are 12 projects to tackle before Monday’s return and before the Mother’s Day gift panic sets in.
1. DIY Mini Zen Garden: Being a mom is stressful, and nothing takes away the stress like a tropical vacay. Give mom her own personal beach with a hot pink sand garden. Finally, a place where she can relax and unwind with a quiet pair of flamingos and ponder your awesomeness. (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Pom Pom Picnic Blanket: It’s true: The addition of pom poms instantly makes everything ten times cooler. Spruce up your old picnic blanket from last year or make a brand new (totally rad) round one, just in time to start picnic-ing in style. (via Studio DIY)
3. DIY Leather Sunglasses Case: That blinding light in the sky means summer is just around the corner. You’re going to need a snazzy way to keep your new sunnies safe from sandy beaches and long road trips. Put together this sleek leather case with a pop of colorful stitching or use leather stamping to write out a personal message. (via Brit + Co)
4. DIY Sail Away Travel Pouch: It doesn’t matter if you’re heading off on vacation or treating yourself to a restful stay-cation: You need to make this handy little pouch. Fill it with chapstick and hand sanitizer, and toss the whole thing in your purse so you can finally stop losing those pesky little items. (via Lovely Indeed)
5. DIY Mini Succulent Drink Stirrers: In the search for a perfectly styled bar cart, you’ve got to constantly keep your stirrer game on point. Warm weather means a whole new slew of mixology options will be tempting you, so you need to DIY a batch of these adorable straw stirrers ASAP. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
6. DIY Tropical Floral Bar Cart Swag: Speaking of stylish bar carts, you’ll need some swag to go along with your next tropical soiree. Bring on the pina coladas and deck out your bar cart, coffee table, end table, etc. with these gorg tropical blooms. (via Sugar & Cloth)
7. DIY Letter Shaped Pretzels: Take your love of typography to the next level and make it edible. Spell out your adoration for Mom or treat your S.O. to a cute message, then help them nom down these tasty treats. (via Brit + Co)
8. DIY Geometric Bath Tray: Instead of taking Mom to the spa this year, give her all the ingredients she needs to spoil herself right at home. DIY this colorful bath shelf and pair it with a basket full of DIY bath bombs, salt scrubs and other homemade goodies. (via The Whimsical Wife)
9. DIY Pressed Flower Coasters: A bouquet of flowers is always nice, but then they die and there goes your gift. Give mom a set of coasters with her favorite flowers so she can remember how thoughtful you are every time she uses them. (via Brit + Co)
10. DIY Rosewater Favors: Rosewater is a magic elixir that does wonders for the skin and acts as a subtle perfume. Oh, and it’s really easy to make. These little spray bottles would be elegant favors for a bridal party, or you can just make a batch for you and your mom to enjoy. (via Swooned)
11. DIY Color-Dipped Art: Got a piece of art sitting around that you like, but don’t loooooove? Give it a whole new life with this simple DIY hack. Tape off half the painting and apply a quick coat of paint for a totally awesome new piece of wall art. Take the look even further by painting all or part of the frame. (via Brit + Co)
12. DIY Leather Tassel Keychain: Leather tassels are coming back in a big way this summer, and it’s easy to see why. They are colorful, quirky and totally fun to make. Switch up the colors and threads, and start layering these beauties on your purse, keychain, etc. (via I Spy DIY)
What are you most excited to DIY this weekend? Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!