Morning Buzz! Blac Chyna’s Naked and Pregnant Magazine Cover Makes Her an Honorary Kardashian + More
Happy made-it-through-Monday morning! From a Blac Chyna takeover to some totally dramatic Olympics fallout, check out six of today’s top news items below.
1. If she wasn’t officially a Kardashian yet, this oughta do it. Blac Chyna unveiled her stunning cover of PAPER, on which she channels The Birth of Venus. “Always be yourself, express yourself, and have faith!” she captioned her Instagram reveal of the cover. In another sneak peek she posted, she called herself a “mogul, entrepreneur, a mother and a badass bitch.” Oh hell yes. Blac and Rob Kardashian are expected to welcome their baby in November.
2. Kanye is still trying to get Taylor’s attention. While Taylor was off tending to unglamorous jury duty and unable to make the VMAs, Kanye was of course addressing her in his speech and even kept trying to include her in his narrative by tweeting a photo of a shirt showing a split image of albums by both Kanye and Taylor. “Unity love,” he wrote. WHAT DOES IT MEAN, KANYE.
Y'all, me choosing to be makeup free doesn't mean I'm anti-makeup. Do you! 😘😘 pic.twitter.com/Mg0Ug9YA9q
— Alicia Keys (@aliciakeys) August 29, 2016
3. People had strong feelings about Alicia Keys going makeup free to the VMAs, but she’s not having any of it. We already know and are very into Alicia Keys’ decision to ditch makeup, but it seems her fresh-faced appearance on the VMAs on Sunday night has upset some people (LOL) who think she could have at least worn a little concealer or something. Her response? “Y’all, me choosing to be makeup free doesn’t mean I’m anti-makeup. Do you!” Keep at it, Alicia.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Pretty Little Liars (@prettylittleliars) on
4. Something dramatic and groundbreaking is going to happen on the Pretty Little Liars finale tonight. SORTA-SPOILER ALERT. As PLL careens toward concluding its seventh and final season, showrunner Marlene King has given some MAJOR plot hints for tonight’s summer finale. “There are two big emotional game changers for multiple liars,” she told EW, before also saying that a “groundbreaking” and “spectacular death” would occur, perfectly setting up the final 10 episodes starting in April. OMG.
5. Olympian Hope Solo addressed her suspension from US Women’s Soccer and it is DRA-MA-TIC. A series from Fullscreen called Keeping Score has been following soccer stars Hope Solo, Crystal Dunn and Megan Rapinoe, and a new episode has some footage of an angry Hope after she was suspended for calling the Swedish team “a bunch of cowards” after they beat the US in the Rio quarterfinals. “Seventeen f****ng years and it’s over,” Hope yells in a clip obtained by People. She’s also shown hitting her hand on a table and saying, “Terminated contract. Not just a suspension.” Intense. Watch the clip over here.
This kinda shit drives me insane. The genre 'females of all description' is not a music genre. It's sexist pic.twitter.com/3u0FGCQIbM
— Kate Nash (@katenash) August 29, 2016
6. Quote of the day: “Female is not a genre.” Musician Kate Nash angrily addressed an all-too-common record store sight with a series of tweets.
Do you find this kind of categorization annoying? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via @blacchyna)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.