Morning Buzz! Blac Chyna’s Naked and Pregnant Magazine Cover Makes Her an Honorary Kardashian + More
Happy made-it-through-Monday morning! From a Blac Chyna takeover to some totally dramatic Olympics fallout, check out six of today’s top news items below.
1. If she wasn’t officially a Kardashian yet, this oughta do it. Blac Chyna unveiled her stunning cover of PAPER, on which she channels The Birth of Venus. “Always be yourself, express yourself, and have faith!” she captioned her Instagram reveal of the cover. In another sneak peek she posted, she called herself a “mogul, entrepreneur, a mother and a badass bitch.” Oh hell yes. Blac and Rob Kardashian are expected to welcome their baby in November.
2. Kanye is still trying to get Taylor’s attention. While Taylor was off tending to unglamorous jury duty and unable to make the VMAs, Kanye was of course addressing her in his speech and even kept trying to include her in his narrative by tweeting a photo of a shirt showing a split image of albums by both Kanye and Taylor. “Unity love,” he wrote. WHAT DOES IT MEAN, KANYE.
Y'all, me choosing to be makeup free doesn't mean I'm anti-makeup. Do you! 😘😘 pic.twitter.com/Mg0Ug9YA9q
— Alicia Keys (@aliciakeys) August 29, 2016
3. People had strong feelings about Alicia Keys going makeup free to the VMAs, but she’s not having any of it. We already know and are very into Alicia Keys’ decision to ditch makeup, but it seems her fresh-faced appearance on the VMAs on Sunday night has upset some people (LOL) who think she could have at least worn a little concealer or something. Her response? “Y’all, me choosing to be makeup free doesn’t mean I’m anti-makeup. Do you!” Keep at it, Alicia.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Pretty Little Liars (@prettylittleliars) on
4. Something dramatic and groundbreaking is going to happen on the Pretty Little Liars finale tonight. SORTA-SPOILER ALERT. As PLL careens toward concluding its seventh and final season, showrunner Marlene King has given some MAJOR plot hints for tonight’s summer finale. “There are two big emotional game changers for multiple liars,” she told EW, before also saying that a “groundbreaking” and “spectacular death” would occur, perfectly setting up the final 10 episodes starting in April. OMG.
5. Olympian Hope Solo addressed her suspension from US Women’s Soccer and it is DRA-MA-TIC. A series from Fullscreen called Keeping Score has been following soccer stars Hope Solo, Crystal Dunn and Megan Rapinoe, and a new episode has some footage of an angry Hope after she was suspended for calling the Swedish team “a bunch of cowards” after they beat the US in the Rio quarterfinals. “Seventeen f****ng years and it’s over,” Hope yells in a clip obtained by People. She’s also shown hitting her hand on a table and saying, “Terminated contract. Not just a suspension.” Intense. Watch the clip over here.
This kinda shit drives me insane. The genre 'females of all description' is not a music genre. It's sexist pic.twitter.com/3u0FGCQIbM
— Kate Nash (@katenash) August 29, 2016
6. Quote of the day: “Female is not a genre.” Musician Kate Nash angrily addressed an all-too-common record store sight with a series of tweets.
Do you find this kind of categorization annoying? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via @blacchyna)
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!