Morning Buzz! Selena Gomez Is Taking a Major Career Break to Deal With Her Anxiety and Depression + More
From health setbacks for Selena to exciting news for Jena Malone, check out six of today’s top news items below.
1. Selena Gomez has been open about her ongoing struggles with lupus since she was diagnosed and even received chemotherapy treatment for it back in 2012. The illness has taken a toll on the singer, and in a statement to People, Selena says she has taken the drastic steps of clearing her calendar for the year to deal with her issues head on. “As many of you know, around a year ago I revealed that I have lupus, an illness that can affect people in different ways. I’ve discovered that anxiety, panic attacks and depression can be side effects of lupus, which can present their own challenges. I want to be proactive and focus on maintaining my health and happiness and have decided that the best way forward is to take some time off. Thank you to all my fans for your support. You know how special you are to me, but I need to face this head on to ensure I am doing everything possible to be my best. I know I am not alone by sharing this, I hope others will be encouraged to address their own issues.” Selena has been all over the world for her Revival tour for the past few months, but will not be continuing for the rest of the dates. We wish Selena all the best in her ongoing treatment. (Photo via Mike Windle/Getty)
2. Jena Malone revealed her engagement ring AND her adorable son Ode in the same pic. SWEETNESS OVERLOAD! Jena and fiancé Ethan welcomed their first child back in May, and until now we haven’t gotten a clear picture of the little cutie. But Jenna decided to put little Ode front and center in her engagement announcement, just barely showing her diamond off on her hand in the background. “One day, after all the youthful rushing quiets in your heart, you realize there’s nothing more you need,” she said in the caption. “Nothing more you want to achieve than to build your life around love. And oh the things we will get to build together. I couldn’t be happier. I love you Ethan,” and signed it off with an #isaidyes hashtag and the ring emoji, bc duh. Congrats to the happy family!
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Calvin Harris (@calvinharris) on
3. Congratulations, Calvin Harris, your thirst trap totally worked. The DJ posted a photo with the intention of wishing his manager a happy birthday, but because Calvin is literally only wearing tightie whities in it, the comments are flooded with people freaking out over his physique. What a nice coincidence!
I hope the SETI signal is the new Bowie/Prince collaboration.
— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) August 30, 2016
4. Scientists heard a strange sound from space and everyone is pretty sure it’s aliens. What else could it be?! The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, or SETI, recently recorded some strange radio wave signal activity near a sunlike star only 94 light years away. We’re hoping what comedian Patton Oswalt is hoping — it’s a sign that otherworldly icons David Bowie and Prince have found each other on their home planet and are scheming.
5. Some great big meanie trolled us all with this fake Drake and Rihanna website. Yesterday, after Drake and Rihanna’s ongoing are-they-aren’t-they antics reached new heights when he bought her a billboard then confessed his love for her on stage at the VMAs, a mysterious website appeared with a mysterious countdown. Drakeandrihanna.com featured Drake’s 6 God logo and a countdown clock indicating something would happen on Thursday, September 8 at 9pm. “A NEW SONG? A WEDDING?” we screamed, before the abyss (aka representatives for each artist) screamed back “it’s not real, chill.” How dare you toy with our emotions like that, fake website makers.
6. Quote of the day: “I don’t go by the rule book. I lead from the heart, not the head.” Princess Diana’s words ring as wise as ever on the 19th anniversary of her death.
Do you often listen to your heart over your head? Let us know over @BritandCo.
(Featured photo via Mike Windle/Getty)