13 Creative Jack-o’-Lanterns to Carve That Are Cuter Than Pumpkins
It’s that time of the year when we have Starbucks PSLs and pie-scented candles up the wazoo. Not that we don’t love pumpkins! They’re a Halloween and harvest season staple for so many reasons, not least of which is that they make one heck of a jack-o’-lantern (just look at these Pumpkinsteins). But why not shake things up this season by exploring some other options in the produce aisle? These pumpkin alternatives all make creative and unique options for your spooky carvings.
5. Cookies: These cookie-o’-lanterns use canned pumpkin, so it’s basically inception. Once you’ve cut out the faces, dip the backsides onto some melted chocolate, and you now have the coolest dessert at the Halloween party. (via Diamonds for Dessert)
6. Turnips: Fun fact: Many Halloween traditions originated in Ireland. Not-so-fun fact: they used to make TOTALLY HORRIFYING jack-o’-lanterns out of turnips. (Don’t click if you ever want to sleep again.) These scary roots are exactly what your haunted house needs. (via Make:)
7. Tomatoes: Just like the stuffed peppers, these chicken salad stuffed tomatoes will look best if you use orange ones. Differently shaped heirloom tomatoes would also make a great autumnal display for your tablescape. (via Mom Endeavors)
8. Watermelons: If the summer weather is holding strong in your neck of the woods, then keep the watermelon train rolling by carving one up for Halloween. Even better, get super creative with some of these next-level carving display ideas. (via Watermelon.org)
9. Mushrooms: Shout out to Kat Dennings, not just for her mushroom carving skills, but also for her advanced punnery: “Lettuce admire the craftmanshitake that went intomato this.” (via @katdenningsss)
10. Oranges: While we admire the healthy eating values of this Halloween fruit cup, we’re probably just going to fill ours with candy. Pro tip: You CAN light these jack-o’-lanterns by turning them into candles! (via Intimate Weddings)
Have you ever carved a jack-o’-lantern out of something other than a pumpkin? What works and what doesn’t?
(Featured photo via Modcloth)
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.