13 Ways to Cook With Okra
When thinking of summertime veggie staples, okra might not come to mind. And if it does, it’s probably in a fried or pickled incarnation — but there’s so much more to it! Currently, at its peak season, the American Southern classic gets taste buds tingling in recipes from all over the world. If you’re looking for tonight’s seasonal dinner inspo, keep on scrolling!
1. Blackeyed Peas With Pancetta and Pickled Okra: Elevate a rustic side, like black-eyed peas, by adding salty pancetta and the tang that comes with pickled okra. Packing intense flavors, this side can even take center stage. (via In Sock Monkey Slippers)
2. Sweet Corn, Potato and Okra Pizza: The next time you need to feed a crowd, bake a pizza that screams creativity. Corn and white beans make up the “sauce,” and toppings like roasted okra, cherry tomatoes and potato make for a killer vegan pizza. (via Keepin’ It Kind)
3. Chicken and Okra Gumbo: Okra and gumbo go together like peas and carrots. Try this take featuring chicken for a hearty stew that’ll warm you to your toes. (via Blue Apron)
4. Okra Parmigiana: If you don’t have chicken or eggplant handy, try okra in this beloved Italian dinner! This is a great option for those who haven’t tried the veggie before. After all, everything is better when it’s breaded and covered in cheese. (via Spicy Southern Kitchen)
5. Spicy Pickled Okra: Pickled okra is a classic preparation. Spice it up by adding hot peppers, mustard seed and cloves to the brining liquid for a crunchy snack with lots of pop. (via Oysters and Pearls)
6. Shrimp and Okra Gumbo: Head down to the Big Easy with some shrimp and okra gumbo! This dynamic duo is a match made in heaven. (via Closet Cooking)
7. Okra Tamarind Curry: Take a tasty trip to the south of India without even leaving your home with this okra and tamarind curry. This is a great option for Meatless Monday, and it’s chock full of yummy veggies and spices to boot! (via Spicy Treats)
8. Vegan Okra Gumbo: A slew of veggies, some broth and pink rice make for a tasty stew fit for any vegan. This is a great pick for those rainy, don’t-make-me-move kinda days. (via Vegenista)
9. Lentil Okra Curry: Gorgeous red lentils and okra meet a vibrant broth for a curry that is as tasty as it is pretty. (via Kitchen Confidante)
10. Masala Stuffed Okra: We’re not too stuffed for these babies. Spiced okra is stuffed with onions, garlic and turmeric, and then shallow fried in a pan. This is one way to ensure snacking stays flavorful, even when vegetables are involved. (via Veggie Belly)
11. Fried Okra: Who can resist a classic, amirite? Sometimes things just come together so perfectly, like this okra that’s battered and fried to crispy perfection for a nomtastic take on this veggie. (via Bev Cooks)
12. Lentil With Roasted Okra and Carrots: Roasting okra cuts down on the gooeyness that can sometime occur. Add in lentils and this cozy and warming dish will bring the happy into your kitchen as soon as you ladle your first bowl. (via The Whinery)
13. Shrimp, Bacon and Okra Zucchini Pasta: Gluten-free zucchini pasta gets a Cajun kick with shrimp, bacon, okra and a super dose of seasoning. This one packs a punch by being low-carb, high-flavor. (via Inspiralized)
Which of these made your mouth water? Sound off in the comments, and share your own recipes with us on Twitter!