12 Non-Cheesy Ways to Style Your Glitzy Holiday Dress for Any Occasion
While you may be quick to whip out all your shimmery frocks for a slew of holiday shindigs (including NYE), there’s no reason they can’t be dialed down for the daytime too. ‘Cause letting them gather dust in the back of your closet until next December would be downright tragic (not to be overly dramatic or anything). Top ’em off with an off-duty anorak, layer ’em over a thin turtleneck or test-drive the dresses-over-pants look that’s all the rage these days for an Instababe-approved #OOTD made for the streets. Ahead, we’re bringing you 12 totally new ways to get the most wear out of all your fave sequined dresses this season. Being a repeat outfit offender has never looked so good.
1. Warehouse High Neck Sequin Midi Dress ($105) + Scotch & Soda Faux Fur Collared Jacket ($295): How to transition your sparkly high-neck mini from the dance floor to a brunch date uptown? We thought you’d never ask. When you’re a fashionable lady about town with an eclectic sense of style to match, pulling off sequins during the daytime is NBD. The key here is to offset the bling factor with a statement-making coat that would do Leandra Medine proud. Meet the funky wool plaid print overcoat — complete with a detachable contrasting faux fur collar, no less! — that will make people stop and stare. Throw in some ugly-pretty fur-lined mules and it’s a done deal.
How to Style a Little Red Sequined Dress
2. Topshop ’80s Sequin Roll Neck Dress ($160) + Madewell Colorblock Pom-Pom Beanie ($40): ‘Tis the season to spread holiday cheer wherever you go. Just when you were about to rule out getting any more wear out of an old mock-neck sequined dress with ‘80s appeal, you remember it’s December — AKA the month devoted to all things ho-ho-ho. Between slightly cheesy family portraits, bell-ringing and Christmas caroling, we can think of an occasion or two that calls for you to reach for your “something red.” Enter the playful marled pom-pom beanie that will have you stepping into the shoes of “Santa’s Little Helper” in no time.
How to Style a Red Carpet-Ready Sequined Dress
3. Zara Long Sequined Dress ($70) + J.Crew Festive Fair Isle Sweater ($128): If this blush pink sequined dress has any say in the matter, then you’ll be getting your fa-la-las on a tad early. Ditch the fancy-schmancy red carpet for a decidedly glamorous afternoon at the tree farm spent sipping mulled cider. Simply layer your favorite Fair Isle knit sweater over an after hours-approved sequin slip for a catalog-perfect look. Take note: All-weather rubber boots and a head-turning trapper hat will be in order.
How to Style a Sequin Sweatshirt Dress
4. Zara Sequin Pocket Sweatshirt ($70) + Loeffler Randall Willa Cut-Out Oxford ($250): While everyone else is partying it up in come-hither gowns, we’re partial to this laid-back sweatshirt dress that’s speakin’ to the lazy girl in all of us. That sequined pocket — and the accompanying frilly tulle hem, for that matter — is straight-up #goals. Combat a case of the Mondays by styling this girly number with some high-shine cutout Oxfords, black specs and a messy top knot for a boardroom-ready ensemble that’s art director-approved.
How to Style an OmbrE Sequined Dress
5. Zara Ombre Sequined Dress ($100) + Madewell the Perfect Vintage Jean in Chet Wash ($135): You do you, girl! Maximize the wear-everywhere potential of this ombre sequin dress by doing the unthinkable and tossing it over a pair of well-loved ripped jeans for a perfectly undone look. More tomboy, less Vanna White, this expertly styled duo calls for a borrowed-from-the-boys flannel shirt, mirrored aviators and trusty Chuck Taylors for a casual-cool LA vibe.
How to Style a Sequin Slip Dress
6. H&M Sequined Lace Dress ($60) + J.Crew 10 Percent Deck Turtleneck in Stripe ($75): BRB, we just uncovered the cool-girl uniform we’ll be living in all winter long. When you style a barely there sequin-embroidered dress alongside a super soft cashmere-blend turtleneck, the result is nothing short of sartorial perfection. Not overly fussy or trying too hard in the least, this all-star combo will have you looking (and feeling) like the woman of the hour, even if you’re just dropping off packages at the post office.
How to Style a Sequined Collar Dress
7. Zara Dress With Sequined Collar ($26) + Madewell Monsieur Coat ($248): Charming much? This Alexa Chung-inspired pairing featuring a sequined collar dress was made to be worn beyond the holiday party circuit with animal print loafers and — you guessed it — a streamlined wool coat. Visions of French macarons enjoyed at a Parisian style cafe are already starting to sway us.
How to Style a Sequined Bodycon Dress
8. Topshop Sequin Ribbed Tunic ($75) + Topshop Tall Moto Oversized Western Denim Borg Jacket ($125): Sporting a bodycon dress for the daytime can be tricky to say the least, but that shouldn’t stop you from whipping out this sequined tunic for your next casual outing. The basic silhouette gives you free rein to style it with a Western-style vintage denim jacket, fishnet tights and lace-up combat boots for a hint of masculinity (the shearling collar reads rugged-chic all the way) that won’t go unnoticed.
How to Style a Sequined Striped Dress
9. Zara Striped Sequined Dress ($70) + Mango Long Zipped Bomber ($100): Sorry not sorry, but getting all gussied up for a fancy fête just isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Take the pared-down approach by teaming this sequined striped dress alongside tough-girl Chelsea boots and a dusty green quilted bomber with around-the-clock appeal. Proceed to top it off with a slouchy black beanie, marled socks and a sleek leather bucket bag for a low-key hang sesh with your squad or drinks downtown.
How to Style a Sequin Pleated Dress
10. Topshop Sequin Pleated Midi Dress ($240) + Mango Embroidered Satin Bomber ($100): We know what you’re thinking: That pleated sequined dress could never pass for your morning commute. Perhaps not with metallic ankle-strap steppers and a minaudiere clutch, but you best believe it can double for the streets with the right pieces. Think a boss babe-approved satin bomber and fresh white tennies for an athleisure look. Layer this bad boy over an understated white tee and you’ll even be giving Karlie Kloss a run for her money.
How to Style a Strappy Sequined Dress
11. French Connection Celia Sequined Strappy Dress ($215) + Scotch & Soda Sukajan Kimono Robe ($245): Easy like Sunday morning looks a little somethin’ like this. Who would’ve thought the strappy embellished dress you wore for winter formal could be reimagined for a weekend spent Netflixing and chilling or running errands across town? Not us. With pajama-style dressing still a thang among the fashion-forward crowd, don’t hesitate to team your ultra-glam ‘90s-inspired slip with a satin embroidered kimono robe and low-maintenance backless mules. Now all that’s missing is a steaming hot cup of joe.
How to Style a Sequined Embroidered Mini
12. H&M Sequined Dress ($129) + Adidas Original Superstar Leather Sneakers ($80): Equal parts glam and sporty, this #winning outfit combo will have you reaching street MVP status like that. Let’s begin with the black and green ombre dress, shall we? Instead of styling it with towering platform heels for a date night function, dial it way down with some iconic Adidas Superstars that deserve to be front and center. The final step: Toss on a tailored black wool topper and reach for a top-handle satchel for a look that reads HBIC.
What’s your go-to way to re-wear your favorite sequined party dress? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.