14 Gourmet Snacks to Buy and Bring for National Picnic Day
Here’s another big holiday to add to your calendar. National Picnic Day is coming up on April 23, and we know exactly what you need to bring this year. Let’s face it: High-maintenance, home-cooked picnic fare just isn’t realistic for most of us. As much as we love creative sandwich recipes and fresh fruit desserts, sometimes we just don’t have time to cook them up. That’s where gourmet snacks come in. These 14 items are PERFECT for packing up in your picnic basket and noming on come the weekend.
1. Biena Chickpea Snacks With Sea Salt ($4): These salt-dusted chickpeas are the perfect snack for when you want something salty (à la potato chips) yet healthy. Clean, gluten-free, and packed with protein, these healthy chickpeas are sure to be a major crowd pleaser, especially among your health-conscious buds.
2. Bota Box Sauvignon Blanc ($16): Let’s just jump right into the good stuff: WINE. Boxed wine is arguably the adult version of a lunchbox, so it’s *definitely* a picnic must-have. And Sauvignon Blanc is the perfect varietal for warmer weather.
3. BarkTHINS Snacking Chocolate in Dark Chocolate and Blueberry ($6): Sweet and totally natural, these crispy snacking chocolates are made with Fair Trade certified chocolate, wholesome quinoa, dried blueberries, and cocoa butter. We are especially nuts about the blueberry flavor.
4. Skinny Pop Jalapeño Popped Corn ($4): Speaking of delicious salty snacks, popcorn is one of the healthiest options out there. Make yours even healthier by going with Skinny Pop. It’s non-GMO, gluten-free, and full of spicy flavor.
5. Eat Your Vegetables Korean BBQ Chips ($11 for two): What if you could get carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, kale, beets, and shiitake mushrooms into your picnic menu with just ONE food item? These chips are the solution. They’re packed with healthy veggies, not to mention completely bomb in terms of flavor — they’re spiced with Korean BBQ seasoning.
6. Good Health Apple Chips Cinnamon ($4): Cinnamon and apples make for a delightful combination, but if you’re picnicking, the whole thing can quickly become a mess. Apples turn brown, knives need to be carried around… nope, nope, nope! But these apple chips are the perfect solution, and they’re a total breeze to pack.
7. Annie’s Homegrown Cheddar Bunnies ($2): Forget about the rest of the cheesy snack crackers out there. These cheddar bunnies by Annie’s are made with organic wheat flour and aged cheddar.
8. Blue Star Farms Sprouted Lentil and Ancient Grains Snack Crackers ($6): Packed with wholesome ingredients, these certified organic crackers also happen to be chock full of protein. This is thanks largely to the lentils that are infused within the crackers, giving them not only added protein but also tons of flavor. If only you had something to dip them in…
9. Eat Well Embrace Life Sriracha Carrot Hummus ($4): Here’s the *perfect* dip for your healthy lentil crackers. This isn’t your average hummus: It’s flavored with zesty Sriracha and fresh carrots.
10. Blue Diamond Almond Nut-Thins ($3): Now for another cracker you can dip into your hummus. This almond-based cracker is similar to a Wheat Thin, but it’s made with almond flour, making it completely wheat- and gluten-free.
11. G.H. Cretors The Mix Popcorn: The Mix is a signature popcorn combo featuring both cheddar corn AND caramel corn. It’s basically the best of all worlds, making for a sweet-and-salty combo that happens to be a perennial favorite among popcorn-lovers.
12. Free for All Brownie Thins ($12 for three): Alright, now we’re ready to delve into the good stuff: dessert. Transportable and mess-free, these brownie thins are the *perfect* solution for all your picnic needs.
13. Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate-Covered Espresso Beans ($5): Chocolate-covered espresso beans are nothing new, but that’s okay, because they’re freaking delicious. Our favorite beans come from Trader Joe’s, which offers a delicious combo of uber-dark chocolate and robust arabica beans.
Follow us on Pinterest for more picnic ideas, recipes, and food trends!