Bacon may get its own national day of recognition, but it’s only one of the many delights that can be made from pork belly. From meltingly tender braises to meat-on-meat mashups, these 12 recipes sing this popular cut’s praises. Interested in carrying the pork belly theme over into dessert? Definitely click over and check out the “pork belly” caramel-topped cupcakes at number ten.
1. Braised Pork Belly Bao: Add these steamed buns to your dim sum repertoire, stat! (via Cherry on My Sundae)
2. Porchetta: Meat-wrapped meat? Ohhhhh yeah. This to-die-for roast can be sliced and enjoyed on its own or slapped between two slices of bread for an outrageous sandwich. (via Bon Appétit)
3. Pork Belly Banh Mi Sliders: Leftover pork belly is the key ingredient to whipping up these Vietnamese-inspired mini sandos in a flash. (via Nerds with Knives)
4. Sticky Caramel Pork Belly Salad: Sweet and spicy, this mango-studded salad is a bright dish that’s sure to impress. (via Gluten Free for All)
5. Homemade Smoked Bacon: Why not go ahead and transform a slab of pork belly into one of its better-known forms? (via The Healthy Foodie)
6. Crème Brûlée-d Pork Belly Confit: As if pork belly wasn’t sinful enough, this Thomas Kellar-inspired recipe features the meltingly tender meat topped with a crackling, crème brûlée-esque crust. (via Lady and Pups)
7. Pineapple and Pork Belly Arugula Pizza: Hawaiian pizza gets a welcome makeover with this peppery arugula-topped pizza. (via Pineapple and Coconut)
8. Pork Belly Carnitas: No question, we’d definitely dig into these pork belly carnitas next Taco Tuesday. (via Food52)
9. Sweet and Spicy Pork Belly: Enjoy this chili- and harissa-spiced pork belly for dinner, then use any leftovers in omelets or sandwiches over the days that follow. (via The Lazy Baker)
10. Wang Choy Cow Sau (Braised Pork Belly): Braising pork belly for several hours in an aromatic bouquet of cloves, cumin, fennel, star anise, bay leaves and cinnamon yields a tender slab that can be cut with a spoon. Served over wilted spinach with rice on the side, it makes for one enjoyable meal. (via Saveur)
11. Clam and Pork Belly Soup: You know those chowdahs that skimp on the bacon and clams? Yeah, this isn’t one of them. (via Wrightfood)
12. Pork Belly Carbonara: A bowlful of this delicious, creamy pasta gives our favorite mac and cheese a run for its ultimate comfort food title. (via Chatterbox Enterprises)
Which of these recipes has you shouting, “get in my belly!” to your screen? Talk with us below!