No Time for Canning? These 17 Quick Pickle Recipes Have You Covered
Pickling, though one of the oldest known methods for preserving food, is NOT a lost art. It’s a fantastic way to use up summer produce and, best of all, pickled goods make for adorable holiday food gifts. Though canning seems wonderful in theory, it can be extremely time consuming and daunting. You can study a guide to canning and scribble up a list of pickled recipes, but actually putting the plan into action is a whole other story. WE FEEL YOU. That’s why we’ve got 17 quick pickle recipes that will preserve your produce AND save you hours of labor.
1. Quick Pickled Sweet Peppers: One of the best additions to a burger is a few (or many) rings of tangy pickled peppers. They’re also amazing on crackers, so really, there’s no reason you shouldn’t have these at your disposal at all times. (via Simply Whisked)
2. Quick Pickled Veggie Salad: These punchy pickled veggies are perfect on their own, but they can also jazz up tacos, sandwiches, burgers and salads. They’re light on the vinegar and 100% kid approved, which, if you have kids, you already know is no easy feat. (via Little Big H)
3. Quick Pickled Red Onions: There’s a good reason red onions are one of the most sought-after quick pickles out there. Not only do pickled red onions add a gorgeous pop of fuchsia to your nosh, but they add a delectable punch of flavor too. (via Noming Thru Life)
4. Quick Pickled Blackberries: It’s not often you see fruits being pickled, but we’re happy to let you know that this is a thing — a very delicious thing. Pickled blackberries offer a balance of sweet and savory, making them perfect for grain bowls and cheese platters alike. (via With Food and Love)
5. Quick Pickled Garlic Scapes: Not sure how to use those garlic scapes? NBD — scapes make for a fantastic pickled veg. They’re crunchy, earthy and garlicky, giving them the essence of a pickled garlic green bean. Plan to make extra, because these are a highly addictive snack. (via Spoontang Kitchen)
6. Sweet and Spicy Pickled Cherries: Could anything sound more divine than sweet and spicy cherries? This brine brings star anise and fennel seeds into the mix for depth of flavor, and the sweetness of the cherries plays off of the tart red wine vinegar beautifully. (via Cloves and Caramel)
7. Quick Pickled Shrimp: Whether it’s for brunch, lunch or an appetizing first course, these brightly flavored pickled shrimp are a wonderful way to take advantage of fresh and local seafood if you’re living the coast life and have access to it. (via Kitchen Dreaming)
8. Quick Pickle Fall Vegetables: We might not want to admit that fall is around the corner, but it is. On the bright side, we have this punchy Mexican-Jewish recipe to look forward to. With a salty punch from the brine and a spicy flair from the jalapeños, these pickled veggies are seasonal and a cinch to make. (via At the Immigrant’s Table)
9. Quick Pickled Peppers: Blending spicy and sweet flavors together in a brine is a total dream. Add to that a crispy and crunchy texture, and you’re headed straight for pickled pepper heaven. These little rings are a fab addition to hors d’oeuvres and sandwiches — if you don’t devour them all straight from the jar first, that is. (via Cookie + Kate)
10. Quick Sweet Refrigerator Pickles: If you’re like us, pickles are a *mega* weakness for your tastebuds. Extra pickles on all the things; extra pickles on the side! Might as well just whip up a bunch of little jars and carry pickles with us at all times. (via Pip and Ebby)
11. Quick Pickled Red Cabbage and Carrots: You can easily liven up everyday dishes with this crisp and zesty condiment. Want to fancy up your hot dogs? No problem. Add some brightness to your avocado toast? Done. The options are endless, so be creative! (via Two of a Kind Cooks)
12. Pickled Beets: If you’re a beet lover, you need these pickled beets in your life. With a basic brine, these bad boys are ready to go in just 30 minutes. Toss them into your fave salad, heap them on a burger or enjoy them on their own. Just be smart and don’t wear white. (via 1 Big Bite)
13. Quick Pickled Spiralized Cucumbers and Zucchini: Please excuse us as we lose our collective minds over these gorgeous and springy cukes and zukes. Not only will they add a sweet, sour and briny flavor to your favorite noms, but they’ll look amazing while doing it! (via The Foodie Corner)
14. Moroccan Pickled Eggplant: These beautiful violet eggplants are simmered in a savory pickling liquid until they are melt-in-your-mouth tender. The result is a tangy treat that complements almost any meal — especially Middle Eastern eats like chicken shawarma. (via Feasting at Home)
15. Marinated Button Mushrooms: You can layer all of the meats and cheeses in the world onto a platter, but one thing stands true — no antipasto spread is complete without tender marinated button mushrooms. (via Quite Good Food)
16. Carrot Quick Pickle With Ginger: Carrot and ginger pair wonderfully together; we’re no strangers to carrot and ginger soup. The earthy, spicy flavors of the pairing are also wonderful pickled, resulting in vibrant orange ribbons that bring a sweet and sour touch to any meal. (via Chocolate and Zucchini)
17. Crispy Quick Pickled Radishes: Radishes are bomb on salads and tacos, but because we must buy them by the bunch, sometimes it feels like we end up with way too many of them. Luckily, radishes are just as good (if not better) pickled. (via Green Thumb White Apron)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + summer recipe ideas.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.