Meet Your New Party Trick: 1 Shaker, 5 Different Shots
Hello rainbow! That’s right — all of these colors came out of the same cocktail shaker. Intrigued? We thought so.
Well, its time to go behind the curtain and see exactly how the magic comes together with our take on this shot trick. With six simple ingredients, you can wow at your next party — just in time for all those St. Patrick’s Day shenanigans!
– orange juice (low-pulp or no-pulp varieties work best)
– lime juice
– blue curaçao
– stainless steel cocktail shaker (help keep the mystery as you compile the drink)
– cocktail strainer
– bar spoon
– measuring cup
– 5 double shot glasses
1. Pour a 1/2 oz shot of grenadine into the bottom of your cocktail shaker.
2. Layer in several inches of ice. The trick with this drink is separate the liquids with the ice.
3. Add in 5 oz of orange juice. Pour on to the bar spoon to slow the flow of liquid onto the ice.
4. Add in a bit more ice at this point, the ice level should be above the liquid.
5. Add in 2 oz of vodka.
6. Next, the secret ingredient! Add in one spoonful of lime juice. Then put the strainer on your shaker.
7. Set up your 5 double shot glasses.
8. With your cocktail shaker and strainer in place, pour a 1/2 oz of blue curacao down the edge of the shaker.
9. Get a good grip on the shaker and start pouring immediately!
Now, let’s build this drink!
First, pour a 1/2 oz shot of grenadine into the bottom of your cocktail shaker. Next, layer in several inches of ice. The trick with this drink is separate the liquids with the ice.
Then, add in 5 oz of orange juice. Pour on to the bar spoon to slow the flow of liquid onto the ice. Next, add in a bit more ice at this point, the ice level should be above the liquid.
Add in 2 oz of vodka.
Next, its time for a secret ingredient: one bar spoon full of lime juice. Layer this on top of the vodka. Add in more ice. At this point, you just want enough room for the cocktail strainer to fit on the shaker.
Now, here’s the performance piece. Set up your 5 double shot glasses and gather that crowd. With your cocktail shaker and strainer in place, pour ½ oz of blue curacao down the edge of the shaker.
Get a good grip on the shaker and start pouring immediately! The blue curacao is heavy and will just sink to the bottom – so you need to pour those shots ASAP to get the colors.
And there you have it. Your next party trick, in the form of a cocktail rainbow.
Do you have a cocktail-themed party trick? Tell us your talent in the comments below.
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.