These Are the Best Indoor S’mores You’ll Ever Bite Into
Craving campfire treats and a night under the stars, but can’t make it out to the woods? These indoor S’mores Sandwich Cookies bring together all the flavors of your favorite camping dessert in your own kitchen. Think: Gooey, toasted meringue filling sprinkled with crushed graham crackers and sandwiched between two giant double-chocolate cookies. All without sticky fingers or the occasional marshmallow casualty lost in the flame of the fire. These treats are way easier to enjoy. Plus, the chewy, truffle-like cookies are to die for — even on their own!
<br/>– 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
– 1/4 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
– 10 oz dark chocolate
– 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 3 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Meringue Filling
– 2 egg whites
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– pinch cream of tartar
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
4. Melt chocolate over a double-boiler and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
5. Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
6. Add in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
7. Stop mixer and stir in the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula. Be sure to fully incorporate, but do not over mix.
8. Fold in the chocolate chips.
9. Using a cookie scoop, place batter on the parchment about two inches apart from one another. Batter should be soft and used immediately. Slightly moisten fingertips with water and gently flatten the tops.
10. Bake in pre-heated oven for about 14-16 minutes — until tops are cracked and centers are set.
11. Cool on a wire rack.
12. Make the meringue filling by placing egg whites and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk to combine.
13. Fill a medium sauce pan with a couple inches of water over medium-high heat. Place the mixing bowl on top to create a double boiler.
14. Heat egg white mixture about three to four minutes, until sugar starts to dissolve.
15. Transfer bowl back to the electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
16. Beat on high until stiff, glossy peaks form (about 5-7 minutes).
17. Add in the cream of tartar and vanilla during the last minute of mixing.
1. Crush graham crackers or pulse in a food processor and set aside.
2. Match similar shaped cookies together and set aside.
3. Pre-heat broiler in your oven.
4. Spread meringue topping on the inside of half of the cookies and place meringue-side-up on an unlined baking sheet.
5. Place baking sheet under the broiler for a few minutes until meringue is toasted. Do not walk away from your oven. This will only take a few minutes, and the meringue may burn easily.
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle toasted meringue with crushed graham crackers.
7. Spread a small amount of meringue on the top half of the cookie and sandwich them together.
Set your box of graham crackers aside, girl. We’re sandwiching our s’mores with from-scratch chocolate cookies. Once your dry ingredients are sifted and your chocolate is melted, it’s time to get mixing. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, then add vanilla and eggs one at a time. Mix until it’s smooth then pour in that cooled chocolate + dry ingredients. Stir these ingredients together with a rubber spatula — don’t over mix. Then when you’ve got it just right, add in chocolate chips for extra decadence.
Now move quickly, scooping out the soft batter with an ice cream scooper and flattening the tops with slightly moistened fingertips. Then bake your cookies in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 14 to 16 minutes, until the tops are cracked and the centers are fully set. Cool the batch on a wire rack and in the meantime, make the marshmallowy meringue filling.
Now onto the best part: Assemble those sandos! Cookie first, then an ample layer of graham cracker-dusted meringue (crunch crunch!). Top off that cookie and move onto the next. You know you won’t be able to stop at just one ;)
Stack ’em up!
Now pour yourself a tall glass of milk (don’t forget the straw!) and dig in. Just one bite and we promise you’ll never experience camping FOMO ever again!
What’s your favorite twist on traditional s’mores? Tell us in the comments below.