15 Genius Cleaning Hacks for Spring
Nobody likes to do it (except maybe Monica Geller), but it’s just about that time of year when the sun returns and the spring cleaning commences. Sure, you can hang your head and spend hours scrubbing that bathroom without any kind of satisfying result, or you can try one of these fun cleaning hacks and treat this year’s deep clean as more of an experiment than a chore. Here are 15 fun cleaning tips to help you get spring off to a shiny new start.
3. Alka-Seltzer Unclogger: If your bathroom sink is draining slowly, drop 4 Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain, followed by 1 cup distilled vinegar. After 10 minutes, rinse with boiling water. If that still doesn’t work, grab this tool at your hardware store and pull out the collection of hair that’s bound to be caught down there. (via SF Gate)
4. Easy Microwave Clean: Place a dish filled with water and dishwashing liquid in your microwave for one minute. After the water and soap get that microwave all steamed up, wipe away built-up grime with a sponge. (via 7th House on the Left)
5. Foreman Grill Steam Clean: If you’ve ever used a Foreman grill you know they’re super convenient, but a real pain to clean. Next time you use it, try pressing a couple of damp paper towels between the lid and the surface. The leftover heat will steam clean the grill. Wipe it dry with another paper towel and you’re done. (via Judith’s Mama)
6. Brand New Burners: Make those burners look like new by placing each of them in their own bag of ammonia. Simply pour about 1/4 cup of ammonia into a large Ziploc bag and then add a burner. Leave them like this overnight (and maybe outside in case it leaks). Pull them out in the morning and boom! Brand spankin’ new. (via DIY Super Mom)
8. Easy Fridge Clean Up: Avoid spill residue in your fridge by lining shelves with press-and-seal food wrap. That way when you get the inevitable spill, all you have to do is pull the wrap off and put a new layer down. (via The Virtuous Wife)
The Rest of the House
10. Vodka Mattress Cleaner: Pour vodka into a spray bottle and spritz lightly across your mattress and leave it to air-dry. It sounds super weird, but the alcohol kills odor-causing bacteria and disinfects the mattress all at once. Who knew vodka could be used for good? (via Huffington Post)
11. Shoe Polish on Furniture: If you have a piece of leather furniture that could use a little loving, rub some shoe polish on it to hide the scratches and revitalize color (be sure to use appropriate colors and rub off any excess). (via eHow)
12. Easy Air Vent Cleaner: Clean a cruddy or dusty air vent by moistening a clean towel with your cleaner of choice and wrapping it around a butter knife. Now you’ve got the perfect tool to get in between those narrow grates. (via Home Sweet Homebodies)
Do you have any genius cleaning hacks we should know about? Share with us in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)