10 Brilliant Sleep Tips for Getting the Best Shut-Eye This Season
That whole can’t sleep ordeal? Not exactly an equation we can get behind. We’re all about achieving a healthy, energized lifestyle, and one of the key pillars of that is some quality shut-eye (and okay, can green smoothies be a pillar too?). If you feel like you aren’t getting enough rest (six hours of sleep a night doesn’t cut it), you’re not alone. More than one third of Americans don’t get enough sleep. For some expert secrets on getting a happy night of ZZZs, we talked to Jamie Diamonstein, the cofounder of stellar mattress company Leesa Sleep. Jamie’s top 10 tips for sleeping better during springtime will have you ready to hit the hay.
1. Trade your winter-ready flannel sheets for lightweight cotton. “You don’t have to spend a fortune on high thread counts, but choose something light-colored (darker sheets can actually absorb heat from light in your bedroom during the day and retain it) and lightweight that feels good against your skin — preferably something made from natural fibers,” Jamie advised. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’re ditching those navy blue stunners for some pale pastel beauts that’ll take us into fall.
2. Update your home’s scentscape. That’s just a fancy way of saying infuse some beautiful spring smells into your household! “Comforting, muskier scents for winter can feel suffocating for spring, so switch them out for light, clean scents like lemon and florals,” said Jamie. “Bonus: It brings the outdoors in, but without the potential for allergies.”
3. Crank up your AC. Well, now you have a legit excuse to toss out if your roommate pries as to why your electric bill climbed up. “The body’s temperature naturally hits its lowest during sleep, as all the body’s processes slow down. Help things along by keeping your bedroom cool, especially as the temperatures outside heat up,” Jamie advised. No AC? Turn on that good ol’ fashioned bedroom fan.
4. Address your allergies. Ah, pollen. Spring allergies are atrocious, no surprise there. “Coughing, sneezing and itchy eyes can keep you awake at night and keep you from feeling rested,” said Jamie. So taking control of your allergies can actually help you sleep better. “Whatever remedy has worked for you in the past (seeing your doctor, natural remedies, staying away from certain types of plants etc.), make sure you’re doing it consistently.”
5. Eat seasonally. “Your body naturally gets more of certain nutrients during specific seasons, which means it can be low on others. Read up on foods to eat more of in spring — foods that can support your body’s production of melatonin, which is necessary for quality sleep,” Jamie explained. Speaking of melatonin, did we mention Sleep Spray?
6. Wash your dog daily. We know it can take ten minutes, but it’s worth it for all those extra hours of sleep you may bank as a result. “If your pet goes outside and you sleep with them, you might need to wash them off daily in the spring to limit allergens in your bed,” Jamie recommended. You can take a wet washcloth and rub your dog off from head to toe instead of giving them a full-on daily bath, which would risk drying out their skin.
7. Limit the blue light from technology. File this under must-do: “Ban technology from the bedroom — or, if you just can’t bear to ban it completely, use Apple’s new night shift feature to limit the blue light from your iPhone,” Jamie suggested. Wake up in the middle of the night and tempted to look at your Facebook and Insta before closing your eyes again? Don’t do it.
8. Do some spring cleaning. From closet to pantry, get it girl! Jamie elaborated: “De-clutter your space — specifically your bedroom. It’ll make you feel more relaxed and put you in the right headspace to drift away.” It’s all about creating a space and ritual that makes you feel super comfortable and ready to get some ZZZs, so at the very least, make your bed daily.
9. Change your AC filter. Go ahead, you know it’s looooong overdue. “The quality of air you breathe can affect your sleep, so change your filter now to make sure you’re breathing the cleanest air possible. Experts recommend swapping it out once a month during the seasons that you use the AC the most,” shared Jamie.
10. Keep a consistent sleep schedule. We can’t stress how super important this one is! “This can be tough in spring since the hours of daylight change so drastically — and so quickly — but keeping a consistent sleep schedule (during the week/weekend and in the change from winter/spring) will help make sure your body’s internal clock isn’t disrupted and you’re getting all the sleep you naturally need,” offered Jamie.
What’s your best tip for falling and staying asleep? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)