This New Sweet Potato Toast Trend Will Make You Forget About Bread Forever
The fancy toast craze continues to wow, but for us gluten-free folks, it’s a special kind of torture. These trendy toast snacks have taken over our Instagram and Pinterest feeds, not to mention our fave breakfast spots. But before you let those crispy, crunchy bread rafts with the delectable toppings get the best of you, you need to hear the latest foodie trend on the street: sweet potato “toast.” With the sweet potato slices subbing as the bread, this healthy + filling snack has even GF folks drooling. The 12 sweet potato toasts below will begin your love affair with this downright delicious meal. Whip one (or more!) up this week and they’re sure to make your social media followers jealous and have your taste buds doing the happy dance.
1. Sweet Potato “Toast” With Avocado, Spinach, Prosciutto and Poached Egg: Holy sweet potato! Are we in breakfast heaven? The brilliant slices of sweet potato goodness sop up a runny egg, and the crispy prosciutto is just the salty bite you crave for breakfast, lunch or dinner. (via Downshiftology)
2. Tasty Sweet Potato Toasts With Avocado Pea Mash, Feta and Eggs: This one had us at feta and pea mash, but then the runny soft-boiled egg just pushed it right over the top. This one’s like the best sort of GFer’s social feed revenge. Take that, Instagram! (via Tuulia)
3. Sweet Potato Bruschetta: This sweet potato bruschetta offers an explosion of flavor in a single bite. Sweet potato is roasted to crispness, then topped with fresh tomato, red onion and basil. They make a great appetizer, but be sure to make a bunch, ’cause they’ll go fast! (via Casey Jade)
4. Sweet Potato Avocado Toast With Soft-Boiled Eggs and Greens: If you like avocado toast, you’ll be head-over-heels in love with this sweet-potato version of the original. It’s a serious powerhouse substitution. This plate is vegan, vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free, grain-free and nut-free, and it’s as beautiful to look at as it is to eat. (via Honestly Nourished)
5. Sweet Potato Toast Three Ways: Which is the best? Don’t make us choose! The avocado is a natural with sweet potato toast, and the lemon juice makes this combo sing. We go nutty for almond butter and banana. That relish and red onion combo provides just the right kick for the tuna-with-mayo version. Guess you gotta try all three ;) (via Little Bits Of)
6. Pecan Crusted Sweet Potatoes: This one makes a perfect dessert if you’re craving something slightly sweet. Your kitchen will smell like pumpkin pie as they bake, but the toasted pecans and Parmesan cheese give them a surprisingly savory bite. (via Stone Soup)
7. Sweet Potato Toast With Avocado, Cucumber, Smoked Salmon and Poached Egg: This flavor combo of avocado, cucumber, smoked salmon and poached egg with just a hint of dill is crazy good. The cucumber complements the salmon and provides the necessary crunch. You may need an extra sweet potato slice to sop up every bit of that deliciously runny egg. (via Downshiftology)
8. Mahi Mahi Avocado Toast: Flat rounds of sweet potato are fried in coconut oil until firm and crisp. Then they’re slathered with savory paté and loaded up with fish and avocado. A drizzle of EVOO provides the finishing touch on this gourmet bite. Now that’s some fancy toast! (via The Castaway Kitchen)
9. Sweet Potatoes With Chickpeas and Tahini Sauce: Chickpeas are crisp, meaty and chewy, making the ultimate complement to soft and sweet potatoes. The tahini sauce here has the perfect amount of zip from fresh ginger and a whole lot of lime juice — just the way we like it. This one would be great as a meal or even as an appetizer at your next get-together. (via The First Mess)
10. Sweet Potato Toast Trio: Egg + Bacon, Prosciutto + Avocado and Sausage + Guacamole? Nom times three! It’ll be too hard to choose just one, so let’s call this one breakfast, lunch and dinner. No bread = no guilt.
11. Crockpot Pork and Guac: Wondering what to do with your leftover pulled pork? Pork and sweet potatoes are amazing together. The natural sweetness in the potato brings out the savory best in the meat. This can also work with leftover chicken.
12. Three AIP-Friendly Sweet Potato Toasts: Finding AIP-friendly and Paleo breakfast options that don’t feature eggs can be tough. Here are three toast combos that don’t have eggs, nuts or nightshades, but definitely don’t skimp on flavor. Bonus: Even kids love the avocado option.
Drooling over these sweet potato toasts? There’s a whole lot more where that came from. Follow us on Pinterest.