Getting to travel the world — whether on a budget-friendly outing in Copenhagen, an Instagram-inspired Disneyland visit, a warm-weather vacation to beat the cold or a wine lover’s dream trip — is a huge privilege, but planning and packing for the trip can still add a lot of stress to your life.
Recently, many new suitcase companies have come on the market to help revolutionize and streamline the way we pack and travel. If you’re in the market for a new carry-on, here are five of our favorites you’ll want to check out — and if not, they just might inspire you to upgrade anyway!
1. Raden A22 Carry ($295): If you’re a hard-side devotee, you’ll love how many colors this carry-on from Raden comes in, including lilac, baby blue and pristine white (and their Instagram account is a color lover’s dream, BTW!). You can choose between gloss and matte finishes too, making this a fashionista’s first line of defense against dull airport style. There’s a built-in locator, a USB charger and even a scale in the handle (accessible through the app). Interior mesh pockets and double-zippered sides keep your stuff organized even after a bumpy flight. Free shipping and free returns make this a no-brainer.
2. Away Carry-On ($225): What happens when you take two former Warby Parker executives and add a dash of Casper consulting experience? You get a really innovative, cool product poised to disrupt the luggage industry. Away’s carry-on offering is hard-sided and virtually indestructible (with a lifetime guarantee to back it up). It comes with a nylon laundry bag that will help keep dirty clothes (including damp swimsuits) away from clean ones, and there’s a compression pad that can be buckled down to help fit more in. It has the requisite USB charger and a TSA-approved lock, and you can choose from a range of colors. The sleek profile of Away’s basic carry-on will fit even on smaller planes, and their different sizes of suitcase nest neatly into each other to save storage space, in case you opt for a set.
3. Bluesmart One ($449): The One carry-on is almost double the price of those from Away and Raden, but this case is geared for the serious business traveler or frequent flyer who likes to have everything in its place. It features an easy-access laptop sleeve compartment, and a location tracker, remote lock, USB charger and digital scale are each integrated into the piece. The best part is that you can return the luggage within 100 days, no questions asked, if you’re not totally sold on its value.
4. Barracuda Carry-On ($349): Any urbanites short on space, listen up — this carry-on from Barracuda fully flattens out so you can store it in a slim space, such as under your bed or behind the sofa — or you can even hang it up if floor space is at a premium. It comes with a laptop shelf to act as your mobile office on the go, the distinctive handle rotates a full 360 degrees, and it has its own laundry and shoe bags. There are six colors to choose from, ranging from professional black to shocking hot pink. The Barracuda incorporates the USB charger that’s a must for any tech-focused carry-on, and a location tracker is available as an optional upgrade.
5. Modobag ($1,095 Indiegogo pre-order): The original campaign for this crowdfunded darling is over, but if you missed out, you can still back it during the InDemand phase. (The current delivery estimate is January 2017.) This innovative suitcase comes with the usual bells and whistles — dual USB charging ports, quick-stow pockets for devices, and an optional tracking upgrade. But what really sets the Modobag apart is one unique feature: You can ride it. Why lug your carry-on through the terminal when it could be carrying you? The Modobag has an indoor speed of 5 mph, which you can increase to 8 mph outdoors to get to your rental car even faster. This carry-on may be pricey, but for anyone who spends their time terminal-trekking, it could be totally worth it.
For more travel inspo, head to Pinterest!
(Feature photo via Getty)