As Seen on the Today Show: Last Minute DIY Ideas for Valentine’s Day
Another week, another trip to the Big Apple! Hot off of our Super Bowl soiree, this week, I returned to the Today Show for a heartfelt (pun intended) segment on last minute tips and tricks for the ultimate DIY Valentine’s Day! After all, nothing is more meaningful than a handmade gift, right?
You may recognize some of these projects from recent tutorials on Brit + Co, but here’s a quick recap on how to make each of the items featured on this morning’s show. Nervous about jumping in? Fear not! These projects are super simple (no, seriously, you can probably do them in 20 minutes or less) and are such a love-ly way to share how you feel with the people who matter most. Oh man, the Valentine’s puns never stop.
1. Breakfast Table: Naturally, Valentine’s Day starts with breakfast on a super sweet Valentine’s Day table. For this playful setting, we created striped heart straws, colorful sugar cubes, hand-stitched tea sachets, a box of (Love of my) Life cereal, and hot chocolate hearts.
2. Heart Candy Chocolates: Don’t quite have the patience to learn how to make your own chocolate? You can still make a totally unique box (or book!) of chocolates for your main squeeze. We used Snickers, Milky Ways, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups topped with shapes made with Starburst, Airheads, and Hi-Chews to create this suite of sweetness.
3. DIY Cards: And what about a card for your Valentine? Last week, we drummed up a few quick and easy ways to create your own custom stationery for that special someone. From pop-up pixel hearts to a cross-stitched heart, nothing says I love you like a handmade Valentine.
5. Candy Vases: No Valentine’s Day is complete without a bouquet of fragrant flowers. Go for a little childhood nostalgia by creating these candy-packed vases with your favorite old school candies. We went with conversation hearts, M&Ms and red hots. Obviously.
6. Heart-Stamped Gifts: And last, custom gift wrap! All you need is a pencil eraser to create this whimsical heart stamp Press into a red stamp pad and stamp anything you like, from a wrapped Valentine’s gift to coasters for Valentine’s cocktails.
Here are a whole bunch of pics snapped at the show this morning!
What DIY projects have you been working on for your Valentine? We promise not to ruin the surprise! Talk to us in the comments below or say hi on Twitter.