Channel Your Inner Ariel at These Underwater Hotels
While our favorite Disney mermaid couldn’t wait to “be where the people are,” WE can’t stop fantasizing about the idea of a real-life undersea slumber party. Good news: It is possible to spend a night with the fishiessans snorkel. From your own fully staffed submarine to a tri-level floating suite in the Indian Ocean, there’s no shortage of amazing underwater resorts out there. Here are some of our favorite spots for where to stay submerged in style.
1. The Manta Resort, Pemba, Zanzibar: This floating, tri-level suite is an ocean lover’s dream come true. Spend the day lounging on the surface-level sundeck or pop down below to the bedroom, a glass box four meters below the ocean’s surface. And there’s no need to hang a Do Not Disturb sign since visitors can only access the resort via a private wooden boat.
2. Lovers Deep, Caribbean: This luxury submarine blows the typical dinner and movie date night out of the water. You control the location (chose from any of the Caribbean islands), and the Lovers Deep team will take care of the rest. Romantic extras include scattered rose petals, an aphrodisiac-infused menu and a soundtrack curated for underwater lovin’. But submarine slumber parties don’t come cheap — one night will cost you almost $300K.
3. Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, Rangali Island, Maldives: Extraordinary is an understatement when it comes to these chic underwater accommodations. This luxe property features private plunge pools, luxe villas and award-winning spas. Dream about dining in the company of sea creatures? Don’t miss your opportunity at the resort’s famed Ithaa Restaurant, where you’ll also find floor-to-ceiling ocean views and the world’s first underwater wine cellar.
4. Atlantis, The Palm, Dubai: If you thought bubble baths were exciting, wait until you check into this luxury underwater resort. The three-story suites have tubs surrounded by floor-to-ceiling windows. When’s the last time you were able to spy on more than 50,000 different species of sea creatures while you were soaking? And the luxury touches don’t stop there. All of the bathroom’s amenities are made with *real* gold.
5. Huvafen Fushi, North Malé Atoll, Maldives: While the rooms at this resort are above water, the property’s spa, LIME, is completely submerged. This might be the only time during a massage when you *won’t* want to doze off into deep relaxation. The geniuses at LIME strategically placed mirrors just above the spa bed’s face so you can easily scope sea life as you’re being pampered. The special treatment beds lined with water mattresses help to set the mood.
6. Jules’ Undersea Lodge, Key Largo, Florida: Adventure lovers, take note: The only way to reach this hotel is by scuba diving 21 feet down. Formerly the La Chalupa Research Laboratory, this wacky resort is the most modest of the group by far. Guests share bathrooms and the use of the hotel’s common area, which features an entertainment center and a kitchenette. We suggest booking the JUL for Two package ($800) to experience the property’s world famous underwater pizza delivery (yes, you read that correctly).
7. Poseidon Undersea Resort, Fiji: Billed as the world’s first seafloor resort, this yet-to-open five-star property has everything from a super swanky restaurant to a library to an underwater wedding chapel. The opening date is still TBD, and you better start saving your sand dollars now because reservations at this high-end resort were priced at a weekly rate of $30,000 per couple.
Would you spend the night underwater? Let us know in the comments below!
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.