It seems like there are few things more enticing to millennials than an opportunity to quit a traditional job and set off on an adventure. Although not all of us can be travel bloggers, there are so many ways to hack a nomadic lifestyle that it’s not impossible to make it work. One lifestyle we’ve been following, the van life, is a delicious mixture of DIY, nature-worship, free-spiritedness, and adventure that is hard to take your eyes away from. Here are nine #VanLife Instagrammers that may inspire you to take off on your own road trip.
1. @bluebusadventure: Blue Bus Adventures are two photographers from the San Francisco area who now live full-time in a converted school bus, traveling and taking photos. The couple downsized from 1,500 to 100 sq. feet of living space, allowing them to capture amazing moments from remote locations.
2. @40hoursoffreedom: Sarah and Alex of 40 Hours of Freedom ditched the nine-to-five for their DIY home on wheels after Alex’s father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. “You aren’t promised the golden age of retirement,” Sarah writes. Their work week entails traveling full-time and running an affiliate marketing business out of their luxe van.
3. @al_kate_wake: Alice and Adam are traveling Australia in their self-converted Renault Master van. “Although living on the road certainly has its challenges, it’s all part of the adventure and the good far out weights the bad,” Adam writes.
4. @morgabob: Morgan Brown travels solo in a 1970s VW van and makes connections with people talking about what no one likes to talk about: death and loss. Her work is expressed via writing, interactive art installations, and a podcast. Her current project is traveling across the country with a portable phone booth, hosting an experience called Conversations I Wish I Had, inviting people to have private conversations they wish they had with people who have died.
5. @fernthebus: Fern the Bus is Ben and Mande, who travel the US and Canada in a converted school bus, named after the animal-loving girl in Charlotte’s Web. They make the most of their adventures with hiking, fishing, and paddle boarding wherever they go.
6. @theseasidevan: The Seaside Van features Mira and Guille, a couple who travels along the coast, living in their self-converted van and surfing every chance they get. They filmed their van conversion to show followers how they did it.
7. @luv_martha: Luv Martha is an entrepreneur who makes bikinis while living in her converted school bus. She keeps it real about what living on the road is like. “I live and sew in this tiny school bus and sometimes that’s amazing and sometimes that’s hard,” she writes. “I do periodically doubt if I can realistically make a living long term… but ultimately, I’m so content with this funny little life, and it is totally and completely mine… and that’s a pretty amazing thing.”
8. @repoweredram: Carolina of Repowered Ram is a college student living full time in her eco-friendly van, which she calls Roxi. The van was converted into a living space using renewable and repurposed materials and is fitted with solar panels to allow Carolina to live off-the-grid.
9. @veggiebusdiaries: This couple — Johanna, a nature lover, and Aidan, a doctor — is living full-time in a van traveling through Latin America, visiting rural communities along the way. Their van runs on vegetable fuel, which they collect from hotels and restaurants on the road, in order to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Their blog chronicles their adventures and is called Camino Casamel, or “journey of our dreams.”
For more of the most interesting modern travelers, follow us on Pinterest.
(Featured photo via Getty)