Suite Dreams! 13 Haute Couture Hotels from Top Designers
Head down the runway of haute couture, and you’re likely to find handbags, heels and… hotels? Yes, everyone who’s anyone, from Versace to Armani, is taking their labels from your closet and putting them on luxe hotels. For those who appreciate good design — no matter if it’s in fashion or art — you’re going to want to feast your eyes on these 13 haute couture hotels.
1. Palazzo Versace (Queensland, Australia): Splashed with Donatella Versace’s signature style — gold, bold and glam — this is a destination within in a destination, and you’re going to want to bask in all its luxury. Noted as a temple of elegance, this waterfront oasis invites you to relax amid renaissance architecture, Italian furnishings, contemporary and classical restaurants. You’ll find everything you need and more here at the Palazzo Versace.
2. Hotel du Petit Moulin (Paris, France): Do you Louvre haute design and travel? Book your room in this boutique hotel decorated by Christian Lacroix. Residing in the heart of Paris’s famous Marais district, you’ll find yourself immersed in a hub of art and fashion. The hotel boasts 17 luxury rooms and suites filled with quirky perspectives, unique flair and charm. It’s definitely a nod to old Parisian style.
3. G&V Royal Mile Hotel (Edinburgh, Scotland): You won’t find tartan walls or linens but you’re sure to be greeted by a staff member donning plaid. The G&V does not disappoint in the design department, and it shouldn’t as Italian fashion house Missoni is responsible for making each guest room unique. The entire hotel is filled with bold, beautiful designs that allow color to dominate. Get here and indulge in modern conveniences in the heart of Scotland’s capital
4. Claridge’s (London, United Kingdom): Enjoy suite dreams in this art deco hotel, situated in the heart of London. It boasts 20 rooms and suites that were the first interior design projects by Diane von Furstenberg. Over a century old, Claridge’s timeless style and luxury has made its mark on history as a haven for both dignitaries and fashion designers. And it’s even played home to the likes of Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Yul Brynner and Bing Crosby.
5. Pantone Hotel (Bruxelles, Belgium): The color center of the universe, this hotel is painted with playful surprises and pure imagination, conceptualized by Michel Penneman and Olivier Hannaert. The Brussels locale is the authority of color. Your room is chosen at reception to complement your mood, from vivid to subdue this unique hotel is sure to satisfy your color needs.
6. Lloyd Hotel and Cultural Embassy (Amsterdam, Netherlands): Welcome art lovers! The Lloyd is a home away from home for travelers of all shapes and sizes. Just like people, every room is unique and accented with details from several renowned Dutch designers. Whether your are on a budget or ready to splurge there is something for everyone. Rooms range from one to five stars, classified primarily on size.
7. Heidelberg Suites (Heidelberg, Germany): This may very well be the most romantic city in Germany, and if you stay at the design magnet, you’ll definitely up the romance factor. Internationally renowned Florentine architect, Michele Bonan, created this space as a homage to Heidelberg’s history and German romanticism. Once a former residence, it now sports cool gray walls, neoclassical decor and a lush spa.
8. Armani Hotel (Dubai, Unit Arab Emirates): Wrap yourself in Armani’s sultry style in the tallest building in the world. Dimly lit hallways, dark wood, curved walls, Italian leather and sumptuous textiles sum up this lush space. Dining should be an adventure each night as you select from Japanese, Indian or Italian and finish the evening off with a nightcap from a selection of the world’s best wines and cocktails.
9. Bulgari Hotels and Resorts (Bali, Indonesia): Italian jeweler, Bulgari has created a tropical gem resting on a cliff with awe-inspiring vistas of the Indian Ocean. Take in the exotic charm under a coconut thatch roof, outfitted with floor-to-ceiling glass windows, Indonesian wood floors, natural lava walls and a personal pool and garden. Built using local techniques, each stone was chiseled by hand, offering a rare and lavish environment portraying the distinction of Bulgari.
10. Uxua Casa Hotel and Spa (Trancoso, Brazil): It’s noted that, “at Uxua, every day is a perfect day.” Created by Dutch designer Wilbert Das in collaboration with local artisans using traditional building methods, reclaimed and organic materials and Brazilian antiques and art, this oasis is rustic modernism at best. The perfect tropical fusion of indoor and outdoor space capturing the essence of Bahian lifestyle awaits you in four casas that are restored fisherman homes, an ecologically conscious treehouse and six other homes hidden around a lush garden. You’ll find fascinating artisan touches such as sinks, baths and showers carved from fallen trees, sofas upholstered with canvas from old transport trucks and kitchen utensils carved from coconut shells by Bahian cowboys. Talk about keeping it local! (photo via Brazilian Luxury Travel Association)
11. Round Hill Hotel and Villas (Montego Bay, Jamaica): Just like the feeling you get when you slip on a cashmere sweater, slipping into Round Hill Hotel and Villas emits a sense of classic style with its lush gardens, secluded beaches, world-class spa and oceanfront rooms, all recently renovated and designed by Ralph Lauren. In your room, you’ll find a four poster mahogany bed and splashes of pink and blue. Oh, and did we mention breakfast in bed?!
12. Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort and Club (Punta Cana, Dominican Republic): Step off the plane and get whisked away into a constant state of awe. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave (if you must), every detail is taken care of at Tortuga Bay. When you land, you’ll be guided through customs to a private car, welcomed by your personal concierge, driven to your villa and given the keys to your own golf cart. If that’s not enough, each villa was personally designed by Oscar de la Renta.
13. W Retreat and Spa (Vieques Island, Puerto Rico): White sand beaches, wild horses, Caribbean sunsets and a bioluminescent bay displaying shimmering, neon-blue waters under starry skies AND a stylish resort? No, you’re not dreaming. This is W Retreat and Spa, a secluded island filled with the things that dreams are made of. Spanish designer Patricia Urquiola has created a contemporary and colorful space for you to melt into tropical serenity.
Any *suite* designer hotels we can’t miss? Fill us in on where to stay in the comments below.