20 Banh Mi Sandwiches You Wish You Had for Lunch Today
Stock up on jalapeños, Sriracha and fresh baguettes, ’cause it’s time to make banh mi sandwiches. These 20 scrumptious sammies hailing from Vietnam go beyond the usual meat and cheese affair. Instead, each sub is absolutely piled high with toppings that know how to pack a major punch in the flavor department. And just in case the mention of spicy things got you worried, don’t be; the heat level can easily be tailored to your personal preferences. Pack one of these bad boys in your lunchbox and get ready to be the envy of the break room.
1. Slow Cooker Banh Mi Sandwich: Get ready for the most tender, yet practically work-free pork sandwiches. The meat is cooked low and slow in your crock pot, so you can get it going before you head to work. When you return home at night, you’ll be greeted with an outstanding meal. (via The Stay at Home Chef)
2. Banh Mi Crostini: A slight deviation from the classic structure, these crostini proudly display the brightly colored fillings typically found inside a banh mi sandwich. (via Food Manna)
3. Oyster Banh Mi: Our taste buds are already singing the praises of these panko-crusted oyster sandwiches. Sweet, tangy and zesty flavors will tantalize the senses with every single bite. (via Cooking in Sens)
4. Quick and Easy Banh Mi: Using store-bought rotisserie chicken is a great way to whip up a big batch of banh mi sandwiches in the blink of an eye. (via The Sugar Hit)
7. Tofu Bacon Banh Mi: A few slices of crisp, smokey bacon and creamy avocado make this almost-meatless, grilled zucchini and tofu–stuffed sammie taste too good to be true. It’s a great recipe to try this summer. (via First We Eat)
9. Meatball Banh Mi: A splash of fish sauce stirred into this homemade turkey meatball mixture adds just enough umami essence to make ’em irresistible enough on their own (appetizer idea, anyone?). Of course, minced onion, garlic and a handful of fresh basil definitely pull their weight in the seasoning department as well. (via Taming of the Spoon)
12. Inside Out Banh Mi: Wrapping all of the usual banh mi sandwich toppings in a collard green leaf allows you to cut down the bread (or eliminate it entirely) for a slimmer creation that’s extra flavorful. (via Pinch and Swirl)
16. Steak Banh Mi: Quick-cooking flank steak will have you tearing into these bad boys in no time at all. Happily, the baguette soaks up all of the juices from the steak and pickled veggies, so you won’t lose a single speck of the good stuff. (via Food Nasty)
17. Spicy Banh Mi Sandwich: This buttery, toasted bread makes a satisfying base to pile high with pork and sliced hot peppers. (via Drool Worthy)
18. Banh Mi Meatball Sub: Juicy pork meatballs mingle with a tangy Sriracha-lime sauce and a kicked-up carrot slaw inside these drool-worthy subs. We trust that they’re equally delicious enjoyed hot or cold. (via I Eat Therefore I Cook)
19. Herbed Salmon Cakes: It’s a snap to transform salmon filets into delicately seasoned patties for these banh mi-esque sandos. They’ll come alive once the assortment of condiments and veggies are layered on top. (via Cookbooks365)
Have you ever enjoyed a banh mi sandwich? Share your favorite combination of topping with us below!