8 Easy Ways to Give French Girl Stripes an Edge
Limiting the look of stripes to a preppy Breton box would be a shame. As the runway has shown us time and again, the linear print has serious potential to flip an everyday outfit on its head. French-girl stripes take on a whole new ‘tude when you ditch the white jeans (we don’t blame you… it’s a classic combo) and employ a little pattern play. Team tried-and-true tees with show-stopping skirts, or collared shirts with quicksilver leather — these are just a few of the tricks we have up our sleeves. So when your beloved stripes start to feel a little on the blasé side, bust out one of these eight trend-savvy pairings for an instant sartorial fix.
1. MSGM Printed Silk Shirt ($297) + Zara Striped Mini Skirt ($36): Fierce doesn’t even begin to describe it. Punchy black-and-white stripes pair with an asymmetric silhouette for a scene-stealing look that’s ready to turn heads. Take it there with a funky patterned shirt, statement drop earrings and platform Oxfords for after-work drinks or shopping at your fave vintage boutiques.
2. Whistles Lilly Print Cold Shoulder Top ($250) + Mango Straight Striped Trousers ($80): Pinstripes always feel polished, but they can also veer on the wrong side of plain. Give a pair of work-ready bottoms a much-needed boost with a flowery off-the-shoulder top that feels fit for a fête by the sea. Proceed to style like a pro with strappy sandals and a lucite clutch, adding a trend-right suede jacket for those cool summer nights.
3. Pixie Market Pinstripe Apron Culotte Jumpsuit ($134) + Warehouse Ruffle Neck Shell Top ($36): Worn on its own with a good pair of sassy heels, this striped halter jumpsuit is guaranteed to put your LBD out of business — the after-hours potential is just that good. But what if we told you that it has major office potential too? Just add a ladylike shell top and a pair of bright court shoes, and you’re in business. Up the polish factor even more with a sleeveless blazer or tweed jacket.
4. & Other Stories Burnout Top ($39) + House of Holland Gina Striped Jacquard Mini Skirt ($370): Introducing athleisure at its very best. Laid-back doesn’t have to mean donning a t-shirt and jeans. Enlist this mesh top and multi-striped skirt for your next street fair or festival adventure, styling alongside edgy sneakers and a sleek choker FTW.
5. Zara Striped Top ($36) + Whistles Bella Zip Denim Culotte ($270): Found it. When you’re sick of your weekend lineup but don’t want to stray too far from the norm, bust out this playful pairing for endless (and stylish) fun in the sun. The It-girl appeal of these zip-front culottes balances out the sweetness of this top’s bow detail for an enviable outfit that takes you anywhere, from rooftop cocktail hours to picnics in the park, like a pro.
6. Mango Oversize Stripe Shirt ($60) + Alice + Olivia Marisa Embroidered Stretch Cotton Shorts ($370): In need of an ensemble for after-work schmoozing? Consider this duo your new happy hour dream team. By day, the classic shirt gets down to business with structured culottes and architectural block heels, and by night it’s ready to paint the town red with folksy embroidered shorts and glitzy earrings that dazzle. Bonus points for embellished clutches and messy topknots that toe the line between elegant and edgy.
7. Zara Strappy Striped Dress ($23) + Wilfred Piaf T-Shirt ($40): Lazy girls, rejoice! This strappy striped dress and boxy cropped tee are just the thing for a low-key staycation or a stroll through an outdoor art market. Throw in flatform sandals, a round crossbody bag and stylish shades for an Insta-approved #OOTD that comes together in seconds.
8. Mango Stripe Textured Polo Shirt ($46) + Topshop Metallic Leather Mini Skirt ($180): Have a show-stopping metallic skirt, will find any reason to pull it out. Look no further than this quicksilver leather stunner that will turn a sporty polo into an unexpected night-out getup that will straight-up slay.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.