What to Make This Weekend: Gold Foil Notebooks, Watercolor Wall Art + More
With Labor Day right around the corner and the changing season ahead of us, it only makes sense to switch up your style and your home decor. Get in touch with your inner ’90s kid with a totally new way to DIY nail wraps, figure out how to paint a colorful collection of wooden vases and, hey, maybe even give your porch a little more sass with a funny doormat. Whether you’re thinking of trying a no-sew duvet cover or you just want your wall art game to be a little more on point, here are 12 weekend projects to make before Monday’s return.
1. DIY Watercolor Wall Art: Brighten up your digs with an easy DIY combining two chic decor trends: watercolor and plants. The beauty of watercolors is truly in the blending, resulting in all of the colors mixing and swirling together. And the secret to those clean lines? Masking fluid. Learn how to paint like a pro with this easy tutorial! (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Gold Foil Notebooks: “I have too many notebooks” — said no one ever. This set of gold foil notebooks would be perfect for the modern workspace or the dorm room desk. Get your creative juices flowing and spell out your own clever message in gold letters for an extra special touch of personalization. (via Lovely Indeed)
3. DIY Tie Dye Nail Wraps: The ’90s are back in a big way, so it’s time to bring on the tie-dye. If you haven’t tried making your own nail wraps, you’ll love this quick and easy DIY that will have you rocking those rainbow shades in no time. (via Aww, Sam)
4. DIY Painted Sweatshirt: Raise your hand if you have a slight addiction to thrift store shopping. Next time you pick up the best find ever, pull out the fabric paint and get fruity with it. Turn a classic sweatshirt into a one-of-a-kind wardrobe staple in less than 15 minutes. (via Brit + Co)
5. Lisa Frank-Inspired Cake Batter Milkshakes: Yep, we did it. Lisa Frank milkshakes can now make an appearance at your next party. Whip some up for your next bash or just make one for dessert tonight. (via Brit + Co)
6. DIY Hanging Clay Air Plant Holders: What’s better than a fabulous planter to put your new plants in? An affordable planter you made out of clay, of course. Whether you’re carefully babying an air plant or you’re sticking with the faux greenery, these pretty hanging planters are just what your indoor garden needs. (via Bash)
7. DIY Asymmetrical Side Table: It’s time to do something about the boring table you look at every day. Whether you want a side table by the couch or a new nightstand in the guest room, make something new and interesting with a piece of asymmetrical wood and a set of legs. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
8. DIY Back-to-School Denim Patches: Embroidered patches have made a massive comeback, and they’re such a fun way to upgrade your basics. Bring some hipster flare to your denim jacket or jeans by ironing or super-gluing a variety of patches onto the shoulders and pockets. (via Brit + Co)
9. DIY Painted Wooden Vases: Plain wood vases are kind of the bee’s knees. You can cluster them to create an arrangement or place a single vase on your bedside table for a clean, minimalist look. Follow this tutorial and embellish simple vases in a variety of ways, from cheeky eyelashes to pattern-dipped vases. (via Damask Love)
10. DIY No-Sew Envelope Pillows: Whether you’re looking for ways to outfit your new dorm room or your couch just needs a colorful update, you can’t go wrong with a no-sew throw pillow. These envelope pillows are made from pretty fabric napkins and iron-on tape, so there’s not a stitch of sewing required. (via Sugar & Cloth)
11. DIY Textured Linen Coverlet: When in doubt, add tassels! This simple, no-sew linen coverlet is an easy way to add a touch of luxe and color to any bedroom. The tassels add a ton of texture, and you can easily pick a color that matches the rest of your bedding. Think of it as another chic accessory for your bed, just like those DIY pillows you’ve been dying to make. (via A Beautiful Mess)
12. DIY Door Mat: Your front door is the first chance you get to show off your personality, so why are you still sporting that plain brown doormat? Jazz things up this weekend with a brand new mat and a sassy greeting. All you need is a doormat, stencils, paint and a clever quote that’ll make your guests LOL. (via Brit + Co)
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!