Who’s Dating Who: Surprising Celebrity Relationship Switch-Ups in 2016
We’re halfway through 2016, and the year already feels like a wild rollercoaster. Beloved celebrities and style icons like Prince and Muhammad Ali have passed away, while history-making pop culture events like Beyoncé’s Lemonade and the all-women Ghostbusters keep coming out to lift our spirits. Add to that a confusing election and the moments and memes that keep taking up the usually serious news pages, and it’s so much!
In the midst of all of that, the everyday human drama of relationships continues to play out. People fall in love and then out, find someone new, spend some time alone. Celebs are no exception and, especially lately, it’s been hard to keep tabs on who’s still together and who isn’t. So we did that work for you:
1. Kylie Jenner and Tyga: It’s unclear precisely how long these two had been dating, partly because it almost certainly began before she turned 18 (her age as of August 2015; he’s 26). They broke up some time around the Met Gala on May 2, allegedly because Kylie discovered Tyga had been cheating on him.
2. Demi Lovato and Wilmer Valderrama: Although they’re another couple with a large age difference, the similarities between Demi/Wilmer and Kylie/Tyga appear to end there. Demi and Wilmer had been dating since 2010 and mostly kept quiet about their relationship, though they didn’t hide it. Demi’s note about the breakup, posted to Twitter on June 4, struck a balance between offering fans information and keeping some level of privacy.
3. Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris: Noooooo! After what seemed like enough heartbreaks for five lifetimes, Taylor Swift found DJ Calvin Harris and settled into a 15-month relationship that had many fans hoping it was for good. Realistically, though, two young, mega-successful people with careers pulling them in separate directions are bound to have a hard time of it. We all weep for you, Taylor (…and Calvin).
4. Kylie Jenner and Partynextdoor: Within a few weeks of her breakup from Tyga, Kylie (allegedly) began dating Toronto rapper Partynextdoor, 22. The two are apparently hot and heavy enough that Kris Jenner is worried she’s moving too fast.
5. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth: The two split in 2013, around the time Miley presented her then-new, raunchier performing persona to the public. But, according to both a recent GQ Australia profile of Liam and the fact that she’s begun wearing her engagement ring again, the pair is back together and planning, as they were in 2013, to go through with that long-delayed, dreamy wedding. Congrats!
6. Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian: For a brief period this year, the Kardashian-Jenner extended family tree was starting to look really messy. Tyga and Blac Chyna have a child, and until recently Tyga was involved with Kylie Jenner. Meanwhile, Kylie’s brother Rob Kardashian started a relationship with Blac Chyna, and the two announced their engagement in early April (after just two months of dating). Then in May came news that they’re expecting. Perhaps thankfully (at least for those of us trying to track who’s related to whom and how), Tyga is now out of the picture, and the happy couple are getting their own show.
Which relationship change surprised you the most? Let us know on Twitter @BritandCo!
(Photos via Craig Berritt, Charley Gallay, Dimitrious Kambouris, Kevin Winter, Greg Doherty / Getty Images)