21 Girlboss-Approved Work-from-Home Style Essentials
Working from home is not an excuse to let your stylish sensibilities fall by the wayside. Not on our watch, anyway. While working within the confines of an at-home office may not inspire you to change out of your donut-printed PJs and fuzzy slippers, boy is it a game-changer when you do. You know the age-old phrase “dress for success?” Yeah, that totally applies to all you boss ladies, bloggers and entrepreneurs who have the option to work from virtually anywhere — be it your back porch or that cute pastry shop around the corner. While the occasional sluggish day is bound to go down, on most days, a little extra time spent coordinating your #OOTD will make you look — and feel — WAY more productive. We’ve compiled 21 effortlessly chic style essentials that will take you from responding to emails to dashing across town for a meeting like that. Proceed to add everything to your lazy girl capsule wardrobe today.
1. Silence + Noise Dax Dolman Sweatshirt Mini Dress ($59): Introducing the sun-washed sweatshirt dress you’ll never want to take off — like, ever. Pair this snuggly fleece mini with a denim jacket and white tennies for an I-just-woke-up-like-this look that doubles for work and play.
2. Free People Pop Pop Popper Jogger ($88): Swap out the frumpy sweats for a pair of these sleek striped joggers that bring the swagger. Instead of pairing them with a matching track jacket or hoodie, switch things up with a bodysuit and a casual-cool parka for an off-duty getup that slays around the clock. Chunky block heels are non-negotiable for a blogger luncheon or networking event with industry insiders.
3. Ban.do Twist Scarf in Metallic Gold ($20): If there was ever a time to embrace messy bed head, it’s on a mundane Monday spent playing catch-up with day-to-day tasks. Simply toss your hair into a top knot and add this lamé twist scarf to your ‘do for a glam look that can be styled with seconds to spare. Before venturing out for errands, a coat of mascara and swipe of your favorite lip gloss will more than suffice.
4. Madewell C!ao Graphic Sweatshirt ($70): For “wear a sweatshirt to work day” (AKA every day for you), this cheeky pullover with French-girl sophistication is as non-fussy as it gets. Throw it on with white jeans and suede ankle booties for a low-key work sesh with evening plans to follow.
5. YSTR Anais Dress ($198): If adulting is wearing a grown-up bib dress to “work,” then you can count us in. Streamline your morning routine with this charming below-the-knee number that puts black slacks and dress shirts to shame. Layer it over a tissue-thin tee for a stay-at-home chic look that inspires you to do less.
6. Saturday/Sunday Catrinna Ikat Jumpsuit ($158): Make every day #SundayFunday with this one-and-done Ikat jumpsuit that’s giving us ALL the ‘70s feels. You know you’ve struck gold when your full-time gig allows you to wear whatever you want, whenever you want. This wardrobe workhorse not only checks all the boxes (chic, comfortable and sophisticated), but it looks to-die-for with backless mules and tousled waves too.
7. Maslo Chock a Block Necklace ($52): It’s the small accents that make you look as though you’ve actually taken the time to get dressed… when in reality, you just threw this sculptural curved bar necklace by Maslo on alongside a nubby knit sweater as an afterthought. Shhh, we won’t tell.
8. Out from Under Deep Plunge Bodysuit ($39): If there’s one wardrobe staple you’ll reach for on repeat, it’s a wear-everywhere neck-plunging bodysuit that plays well with mom jeans, denim-button front skirts — you name it. It’s the pared-down basic you didn’t know you needed, but now can’t live without. *Adds to cart.*
9. Shashi Noa Ear Climbers ($55): In lieu of overly chunky bangles and cocktail rings that’ll inevitably get in your way anyway, try a pair of these sparkly cubic zirconia ear climbers that provide for a subtle statement. They’ll look DDG no matter what you’re wearing (even jeans and a tee) and give you a reason to power through the work week.
10. Scotch & Soda Mini-Embroidered Shirt ($115): Working from home means playing by your own rules. Case in point: Update your old boardroom button-downs with this whimsical mini-embroidered shirt — we spy a fox’s head, round sunnies and a guitar! — that shows you don’t take yourself too seriously. The relaxed, borrowed-from-the-boys fit can be teamed with leggings and riding boots for an early fall look.
11. Hobes The Metallic Hobe ($149): Add some much-needed zing to your on-duty wardrobe with these fierce handmade leather flats that were made for racking up the steps. Even if you’re not on your toes all day per se — well, besides sprinting from one coffee shop to the next — they’ll come in handy during unofficial business trips and Fridays spent playing hooky.
12. Madewell Striped Lace-Up Sweater ($98): Oh, this old thing? When the work piles up beyond the work week, you need a lace-up sweater with this much panache. Not only is it the quintessential post-Labor Day layering piece for dodging in and out of your office (coffee breaks! meetings across town!), but it’ll be the first thing you reach for when a case of the outfit blahs hits.
13. Jack + G Ear Nut Earrings ($66): There’s something ridiculously appealing about a delicate single stud earring that takes any outfit from zero to 100. Embrace the minimal jewelry trend with this 14K gold piece that’s perfect for a last-ditch effort to get some work done at your favorite coffee shop. Throw an easy-breezy shirt dress and ankle boots into the mix for a look that says trying, but not trying too hard.
14. Topshop Temp Patches Slip-on Shoes ($44): Sensible does not have to equate to snoozy: These rad denim patchwork slip-ons will serve as a reminder to roll with the punches and not take yourself so seriously. Team them with distressed black jeans and a bomber jacket for a look that’s a far cry from corporate.
15. M.I.H. Jeans Chambray Jumpsuit ($395): THIS is how to werk it at work. A throw-on-and-go chambray jumpsuit is for the visionary with a sched that’s constantly changing (think: conference calls one day and west-coast meetings the next). Channel an understated-cool vibe with this slouchy one-piece wonder that requires zero effort. If you plan on leaving the house, all it takes is a colorful scarf or a free-wheelin’ crossbody bag in a punchy hue and you’re there.
16. Topshop ’90s Sweater and Jogger by Escapology ($68): Are you even your own boss if you don’t own at least one ‘90s-style sweater and jogger set in Glossier pink? A major upgrade from the ugly-chic velour Juicy tracksuits that ruled the early ‘00s, this throwback staple will give you a reason to dial things down every now and then. BTW, old-school Stan Smiths are obligatory.
17. Modern Citizen Jordin Tie-Waist Tapered Trouser ($72): Calling all busy girls! These tailored trousers are fit to flatter for an afternoon of out-of-office meetings. The paper bag-waist, pleating and airy material usher in a carefree ‘tude that calls for a silk cami and ankle-strap steppers.
18. Topshop Petite Wrap Playsuit ($90): Slay, girl, slay. This slinky army green wrap-front playsuit not only reads girl-boss-in-training, but it exudes confidence with its around-the-clock appeal. Style it for the daytime with a dainty necklace and huarache sandals before transitioning it for after-hours with an oversized clutch and power pumps.
19. Zara Cropped Glossy Sweatshirt ($26): It’s a good thing athleisure is having a moment — this cropped glossy sweatshirt, featuring a hood and crossover back, is making all our lazy-girl dreams come true. Reach for it the next time you’re feeling burned out for a little zen yoga sesh in the comfort of your own home. Plus, it’ll make you look active AF when running errands — even if you’ve just been slaving away at a desk all day.
20. & Other Stories Power Puff Sweater ($65): Who runs this world? The boss babe sporting a gray sweatshirt with streamlined leather leggings wins our vote. We can’t explain it, but there’s something magical about a boxy pullover that’s equal parts comfortable and chic. Toss this hero piece on alongside monochromatic kicks and a baseball cap for a work-at-home uniform that would do Gigi Hadid proud.
21. Tobi Pull One Over Cardigan ($98): You’ve traded in frozen cubicles for early mornings spent working from the comfort of your own bed or futon — and now all that’s missing is a snuggie-like pullover to maximize your productivity even when a nap is higher up on your priority list. Don’t hesitate to bundle up in this striped blanket-turned-cardigan in disguise that will keep you toasty at all times.
What are your go-to style essentials for working from home? Follow us on Pinterest for boss lady-approved style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.