11 Apps to Help You Eat Smarter Before the Holidays Hit
No matter how many healthy podcasts we listen to or good-for-you Pinterest articles we browse, it still feels ridiculously overwhelming to overhaul our current diet (which mostly consists of hilarious Halloween grub like these monster sushi rolls and Frankenstein cookies) for a more healthy alternative. Luckily, these handy apps are here to make choosing healthier food as simple as pie… er, we mean kale chips.
1. Forks Over Knives: From the makers of the critically acclaimed film Forks Over Knives, this cool app features over 200 recipes from leading chefs that are made specifically for a whole-food and plant-based diet.
2. Instacart: Finding healthy ingredients no longer involves getting out of your PJs. In as little as one hour, Instacart will deliver fresh groceries to your house from your fave stores — we’re talking Whole Foods, Costco… even Petco!
3. Caveman Feast: If you’re thinking about trying out a Paleo diet, this app is a must. With over 250 recipes — from the perfect Paleo burger to smoked avocado lime pork chops — this easy-to-follow guide will definitely impress at your next dinner party.
4. Zipongo: Whether you’re looking for recipes that avoid a certain allergen or grocery discounts to get you motivated to shop healthy, Zipongo pretty much has it all. Best of all… it’s free!
5. ShopWell: Have you ever wondered what exactly is in that mysteriously packaged cookie box at your local grocery store? Well, with the help of the ShopWell app, you’ll no longer need to guess. A quick scan of the mystery box and you’ll know everything you wanted to (including if it contains allergens and how the product stacks up nutrition-wise).
6. The Blender Girl Smoothies: Everyone loves a good smoothie, but we admit we may have gotten a little too crazy with our innovative (read: disgusting) concoctions. In this app, you’ll get access to over 100 foolproof smoothie recipes that are mega good for you. It’s pretty much a no-brainer!
DL It: $4.99 on iOS
7. Food Fix Up: This gluten-, dairy- and refined-sugar-free food app is definitely worth the three bucks. With over 180 recipes and a convenient shopping list function, this app makes it super easy to pre-plan delicious meals that are good for you too.
8. Krazy Coupon Lady: SAVINGS ALERT! The days of clipping coupons manually are long gone. This free app gives you access to over 60 new coupons every single day to good-for-you stores like Whole Foods.
9. HelloFresh: This company is making it easier than ever to start eating healthy. Each week, HelloFresh will deliver a box of recipes and fresh ingredients to your home to cook (each meal costs between $9 to $12, depending on your subscription). No more excuses, folks!
10. Weight Loss Coach by Fooducate: This food tracking app is #goals. Literally all you need to do is scan a pic of a product’s nutrition panel for the inside scoop about all things edible.
11. Handpick Recipes and Ingredients: If you’re stuck on what to make and you don’t want to put on actual pants and leave the house (we totally understand, BTW), this app is a must-download. Simply choose the ingredients you have on hand and the app will tell you what pairs well with it. Dinner mystery, solved.
How are you sticking to your healthy eating goals? Tweet us your tips by mentioning @BritandCo.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)