Creeping It Real With These Tea-Licious Frankenstein Halloween Cookies Recipe
Halloween is just around the corner, and what’s better than creeping it real with some tea-rrific matcha Frankenstein cookies. These may look like a pain in the neck to make, but they are actually quite simple — you may just need some patience! Take these babies to your next Halloween party, but let me warn you… your friends may go a little nuts. Who would have thought Frankenstein and green tea would be a matcha made in heaven?
Makes approximately 40 x 1.5-inch square cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons unsweetened green tea powder (matcha)
- 230 grams (a hair over 1 cup) softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- black and white royal or cookie icing
- white chocolate melts and matcha powder (optional)
- heart or bone sprinkles (optional)
1. To make cookies: Sift matcha and flour in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy; then add vanilla until incorporated. Gradually add the dry ingredients until just combined, then shape into two evenly sized discs and wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Note: Depending on personal preference, feel free to add more or less matcha to the dough.
2. When dough has chilled, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking tray with parchment paper. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut into squares. Transfer onto baking tray and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes before baking.
3. Bake for approximately 14-16 minutes, or when edges begin to brown. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
4. To decorate: Using store bought or homemade cookie/royal icing, pipe on the eyes with white icing, then add the hair, scars and facial details with black icing. You can use a thin piping tip, or just cut a small hole at the end of your Ziplock or piping bag.
Optional: Add nuts and bolts on the side of Frankenstein’s face to give him a little more character. Using heart or bone sprinkles, cut off the end with a sharp knife. Stick them onto the cookies with melted chocolate and paint with silver edible paint for extra detailing.
5. As an option to sweeten the cookies, dip the back of the cookies in chocolate. As an example, you can use chocolate melts with a bit of matcha powder mixed in. Other flavours and types of chocolate would work too!
Remember to chill in the freezer before baking. This will minimise spreading and keep the cookies in shape.Leave cookies to cool completely before decorating!
And the decorating begins! Start off by piping the eyes with white royal icing, then add the hair, scars and facial details with black icing. How simple is that?Pipe away! Don’t be afraid to add different variations to the adorable faces!
Not your typical Frankenstein, but aren’t they cute?
To add more sweetness to the cookies, dip the back in melted chocolate. This can be as simple as chocolate melts with a touch of matcha powder mixed in. You can, of course, use any type of flavor and chocolate you prefer.
Optional: Add nuts and bolts on the side of Frankenstein’s face to give him a little more character. Using heart or bone sprinkles, cut off the end with a sharp knife. Stick them onto the cookies with melted chocolate and paint with silver edible paint as the finishing touch.
And that’s it! Now you have an army of delicious and almost-too-cute-to-eat Frankenstein cookies.
Frankenstein and green tea seem to be the perfect matcha!
Isn’t he such a cu-tea?
Follow us on Pinterest for more cookie inspo.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.