22 of the Hottest Wedding Trends for 2015
We may still be picking confetti out of our hair from last season’s wedding fètes, but a new year is upon us, and with it comes a new set of trends. Weddings are about to get real personal as couples say “I do” to hometown flavors, multi-day affairs, selfie invites and dresses that are anything but traditional. Sneak a glimpse at this year’s hottest wedding trends.
1. Floral Backdrop: Looking for something that will really pop at your wedding? Take a tip from Kim Kardashian with a floral backdrop. Whether constructed out of fresh or paper flowers, it’ll definitely grab guests’ attention and create a beautiful photo setting. (via Forever and a Day)
2. Suspended Decor: The sky is the limit as centerpieces are no longer confined to the table. Look up for suspended decor like green garlands, baubles filled with moss and floral chandeliers. (via Bridal Detective)
3. No Flower Weddings: You may notice a move towards minimal or no flowers this year as weddings take on a more eco-friendly tone. Forgo the DIY paper flowers and allow lush greenery to take over. Think gorgeous bouquets, stylish succulents, green garlands, leafy wreaths and runners. (via Southbound Bride)
4. Boho and Vintage-Style Invites ($2): Romance is in the air, so why not personalize your invites with a chic, floral and sweet vintage design? The watercolor florals and lace details on these invites set the scene for a boho-inspired fète.
5. Selfie Invites ($2): Invites are getting personal, and some couples are even including selfies. If you’ve got some awesome engagement photos, your wedding invite could be the perfect place to display them.
DRESSES + STYLE
6. Lace Sleeves and Cutouts: In 2015, brides will be showing a bit more skin. The sleeves may be long, but those dresses will also have cut-outs and Angelina slits — hot, hot, hot. (via Bridal Musings)
7. Pretty in Pastel: Yep, brides are no longer saying, “I do” in white. Pastel hues are the perfect way for the modern bride to show her true colors in soft shades of gray, ice blue, mint and blush. (via Style Me Pretty)
8. All Eyes on Us: Glitz and glam are no longer reserved solely for the bride, ’cause bridesmaids gotta look good too. Thing like texture, sequins and sparkle are making a grand entrance this year. (via Style Me Pretty)
9. Softly Shaded Shifts: This year, brides will be dressing their maids in soft shades of cool mint, ice blue, lemon, periwinkle and blush. The great thing about pastels is that you can mismatch colors, so bridesmaids can stay unique. (via Vows Love)
10. Color is the New Black: Brides aren’t the only ones having fun with color — it’s time for grooms to ditch traditional suits for something a bit more eye catching. Navy is super hot right now, but we think this jewel-toned green is pretty smart. (via Love My Dress)
Drinks + Eats
12. Smaller Sips: The fully-stocked bar is out and drink stations are in. Couples want guests to get a taste of their personality, and they are doing it with flights of craft beer, shots of different bourbons, wine samplings, a specialty cocktail from their fave vacay destination or even samples of fizzy soda. (via Huffington Post)
13. Champagne Towers: Forget the chocolate fountain — champagne towers have returned, and they are replacing everything from centerpieces to the cake. Pop the cork and let it flow in a very classy way. (via Ashley Ludaescher)
14. Communal Dining: Make some elbow room for long tables and a sense of togetherness. Communal dining is on the rise, especially for outdoor weddings. Long tables don’t have to be rustic; they work well in more formal settings too. (via Papakata)
16. Naked Cakes: Dare to be bare with your wedding cake. Rather than colored frosting or fondant, cakes are being decorated with fresh fruit, flowers, a dusting of glittering metallics or a drizzle of colored frosting for a punch of fun. (via Style Me Pretty)
17. Unique Cake Flavors: Personalize your party down to the last crumb with flavors from your family heritage, fave destination or hometown. Confections are going way beyond vanilla to popular choices like caramel apple cider, aztec hot chocolate or coconut. (via Brides)
FAVORS, FUN +FÈTE
18. Edible Favors ($20): Do your guests a favor and gift them the best favor there is: something edible. Couples are taking their after-dinner snacks very seriously this year, and guests will be thankful for the yummy treats.
20. Weddings Abroad: Even more couples will be taking the destination wedding plunge and making their big day a holiday for their family and friends. Top destinations for weddings abroad this year include Mauritius, Cyprus, Croatia, Ibiza and Turkey. (via Wedding Style)
21. Multi-Day Weddings: Couples are incorporating a three-day weekend wedding into their schedules with welcome parties, a rehearsal dinner, farewell brunch or any combination of the above. Now the bride and groom will actually have some time to spend with their guests. (via Easy Weddings)
22. Drone and GoPro Wedding Photography: If you want snapshots of your wedding day from every angle imaginable, make sure to hire a photographer and videographer who are technologically savvy. (via Huffington Post)
What wedding trends do you want to have and to hold? Talk to us in the comments below!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!