6 Things You Learn About Ayesha Curry from Spending a Day With Her
Ayesha Curry seems to be everywhere these days — including in Sonoma, CA for a photoshoot, where we hung out with her last week. With all the buzz from her husband Stephen Curry’s team being in the NBA playoffs to the buzz she’s created herself with her strong, public support of him after he was ejected from Game 6, Ayesha has a lot going on right now. Here’s what we learned from spending all day on a shoot with Mrs. Curry and daughters Riley (three) and Ryan (one next month!).
1. Ayesha is a walking, talking Pinterest board (in a super good way). The creative momma was buzzing with cooking hacks, beauty tips and recipe secrets all day; her mind is like IRL Pinterest. It’s kind of amazing. One tidbit she shared was figuring out a last-minute meal to make when she hosted her brother’s new (vegan!) girlfriend for dinner. Her description of the eggplant succotash she whipped up with ingredients she had around the house had us all straight up salivating.
There are def celebs out there who portray a Pinterest-perfect image of themselves in public, even though they really aren’t that creatively minded IRL. Ayesha is not that person. The food blogger/wonder woman mom/amazing wife/lifestyle lady is not just a persona she’s playing up — it’s who she really is.
Cookbook author, mom and blogger Ayesha Curry dishes on her fave family meal, the weirdest thing she's ever eaten + more!
Posted by Brit + Co on Friday, June 17, 2016
2. Ayesha is responsible for Steph’s (and the Curry family’s) healthy habits. Ayesha is pretty proud of refining Steph’s junk food ways. “When we first started dating back in college, he was a pizza and chicken tenders kind of guy,” she told me. “Now he’s broadened his palate. I feel like I have something to do with that.” We bet.
We could see that health was a clear priority of Ayesha’s on the shoot and in her and her family’s lives beyond. The project she’s working on with Sonoma Brands, an innovative food incubator local to the Bay Area, is health-focused, so the food on set was suuuper healthy. It was definitely not typical of what’s usually served at all-day photoshoots — there were no potato chips, cheeseburgers or soda at this craft service, y’all. Think coconut chips, prosciutto-wrapped honeydew, fruit salad, fresh veggies, coconut water and juice.
3. The Ayesha Curry you see on TV actually looks glam by accident. Ayesha is not a lady who has a ton of time (or interest, TBH) to primp and prep — she’s more of a 10-minute makeup routine kind of gal. When you do see her looking extra gorg, it’s probably a total coincidence. “I luck out on days when I have my makeup done,” she told me. “I’ll go to a game and be like, ‘Oh yeah, I got my makeup done, I look like this all the time!’” I loved that she was real about not “waking up like this.”
4. The Currys are kind of the perfect fam. Okay, no one is perfect — but they are the most creative famous fam we’ve hung out with in a long time/ever. It’s unlikely you’d find the Curry clan binging TV shows and being couch potatoes. Ayesha told me that she and her family love playing the app Heads Up!, a techy twist on charades, but we barely saw Riley with her mom’s phone in hand. Get real, that’s rare for a three-year-old these days.
During the shoot, Riley was coloring nonstop, super intent on trying to stay inside the lines to create a fridge-worthy masterpiece. When she wasn’t busy coloring, Riley was flexing her musical muscles by tickling the ivories on a piano that happened to be at the shoot while singing the ABCs. It was hard not to melt, trust me.
View this post on Instagram
Happy Father's Day to my darling husband. You are the most humble, happy and caring person I know. The thing I love most is that regardless of what happens in your professional life you come home the same happy go lucky husband and father ready to just be there. I love that you can get on the floor and play with the girls, take over bed time duties and simply be present with our girls. Not to mention the random princess tea parties that can happen at any moment and you always oblige. We love you so much dada!!!
A post shared by Ayesha Curry (@ayeshacurry) on
5. Family means EVERYTHING to Ayesha. At the shoot, Ayesha’s (stunning) mom was on set all day, doting on Riley and Ryan when they weren’t on camera — it was really touching to see how natural it was for the whole family to be involved in Ayesha’s project. The girls were playing together, learning (I overheard Ayesha giving Riley a mini math lesson) and genuinely having fun during the day.
Steph also made sure to show his support for his wife and girls even though he wasn’t physically there — it was, you know, kind of a busy/important week for him with the playoffs and all. He FaceTimed Ayesha before lunchtime, and when she saw him calling, she got giddy. It was seriously adorable to witness.
Throughout our interview, it was sweet to hear her bring it back to Steph in so many different parts of our conversation. Whether we were discussing date night in the Curry household (which, after Game 5, was super low-key and involved their favorite *other* game, old school Mario Kart), Ayesha’s favorite meals to whip up or how she preps for a game night, it was apparent that Steph (and her entire family) is everything to her and always top of mind. Seeing her Tweets from Thursday night in defense of her husband mirror her always supportive attitude when it comes to the Curry clan. Her passion for her family, shown by steadfastly having Steph’s back after he was ejected from the game on June 16, comes from her being a praiseworthy mom and partner. After seeing this genuine side of her, I can honestly say I’d expect nothing less than to see her say and do anything to support her husband. (Can we talk about that Father’s Day message on Instagram? <3)
6. Riley is destined for stardom. It’s good that Riley has a strong family foundation, because we would not be surprised if we see her own name in lights some day. You guys have seen her at press conferences, so just imagine her at a photoshoot. The girl is a total natural in front of any camera — from my iPhone camera where I snapped her playing the piano to a pro camera that had her posing on command. Somehow, at three years old, she can smize (smile with your eyes, duh), strut her stuff and totally captivate on camera.
Even though Riley looks ready for her own show on the Disney channel any day now, throughout the shoot, she was also the best big sister to little Ryan. All day, I never witnessed a meltdown during the shoot (a day that can make your average adult crew member a bit cranky). She went with the flow without any of the — let’s be real — brattiness that can be associated with kids that age. Whether she was literally jumping up and down next to the photographer to get Ryan to giggle on camera or playing with her while Ayesha was busy, their bond is precious and TOTALLY adorable.
Whether she’s supporting Steph at a game, playing chauffeur to her daughters or whipping up pan steaks in the kitchen, Ayesha is an admirably well-rounded boss who balances being a wife, mom and entrepreneur well, but clearly never forgets what is most important to her: family.
Do you follow the Curry fam off the court? Are you tuning in to Game 7? Tweet us your thoughts @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via JB Lacroix/Getty, Parade photo via Stephen Lam/Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.