Whether you fall on the side of being obsessed with 13 Reasons Why or you feel for those who find its graphic depiction of teen suicide irresponsible and triggering, there’s no doubt that the show, adapted from the YA novel of the same name, was a huge hit for Netflix.
So it was no big surprise that Netflix recently announced the show would be back for a second season. Details at this point are sparse, but here’s what we know so far. (Also, fair warning: Season one spoilers ahead!)
1. Hannah Baker will return. The news that Hannah, played by Katherine Langford, would appear in some way had fans confused and excited. Showrunner Brian Yorkey, who will return for season two, told The Hollywood Reporter, “She’s an integral part of whatever the next chapter of the story is, and she’s very much still at the center of it,” and even told EW she would “absolutely” be in it.
2. Zach will be around too. The actor, Ross Butler, who plays part of the bullying jock crew on 13 Reasons Why, will have his role of Reggie recast in the other hit show he’s part of, Riverdale, due to scheduling conflicts — AKA, another season of 13 Reasons Why.
3. It won’t just be Hannah’s voiceover in every episode. Showrunner Brian Yorkey told EW that while every episode will still have a voiceover, and it will still weave into and out of different timelines, it won’t only be heard from Hannah’s perspective.
4. Selena Gomez could very likely stay on board as executive producer. Gomez posted the announcement for season two on her Instagram at the same time the show’s official account did.
5. We’ll get to see the trial. Yorkey says one of the biggest lingering questions will not go unanswered. “Who is responsible, if anyone is [for Hannah’s death]? One way we’ll explore that question is through the trial and also through all of these kids reflecting on where they are a few months down the road and what other secrets are being uncovered.”
6. Jessica will hopefully get justice — and Bryce might get punched. “Jessica is just beginning the process of recovering from her rape, and we have a rapist who has not in any way been brought to justice,” Yorkey says. “To leave those two things hanging out there in the world would be upsetting… and also [I want to] see somebody punch Bryce in the face.”
7. A DIFFERENT analog technology will play a big part in season two. Based on all of the dark room photo developing that took place in season one, we’re gonna make that our guess. The cassette tapes will still linger in the background, according to Yorkey, but will no longer be the main focus.
No release date has been given for the second season at this time, and we’re sure it’ll be a little while despite how impatient we’re feeling. You can bet we’ll let you know as soon as we hear.
What do you hope to see addressed in season two of 13 Reasons Why? Let us know @BritandCo!
(h/t EW; photos via Frederick M. Brown, Kevork Djansezian, Mike Coppola/Getty)