8 Movie-Inspired Workouts to Get You Moving This Holiday Season
We’ve tried just about everything to get out of our workout rut — from signing up for trendy fitness classes to getting our kid on with recess-inspired workouts. But while we were avoiding our squats and watching the epic new Beauty and the Beast trailer (which is fantastic, BTW!), it hit us: Why not do a workout based on our all-time favorite movies? And during the holiday season, which is traditionally filled with overeating and enjoying movie marathons on the reg, we’ll take motivation wherever we can get it. Check out these eight workouts inspired by some of our silver screen faves. Enjoy!
1. For fans of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, try Harry Potter Yoga or Cat Yoga. Channel your inner wizard and strike a Downward Fluffy pose with Harry Potter yoga (wand provided). The Austin, TX class first took place around Halloween, but look for more to come in the future. And there’s nothing Newt Scamander would love more than spending an evening working out among a few furry felines. For fans of the new epic Wizarding World tale, try your hand at cat yoga by checking out your local cat cafe for classes and get ready for a purr-fect workout (sorry, we couldn’t resist).
2. For fans of Beauty and the Beast, try ballroom dancing. Okay, we know that it’s not *technically* out yet, but our excitement for the new live-action BATB is just too overwhelming to not including it on this list. To get ready for the premiere, we’re trying our hand at elegant ballroom dancing. Check your local dance studios for class schedules and get ready to glide your way to an enchanting workout.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Zumba Gosia Jabłońska (@aquazumbagosia) on
3. For fans of Finding Dory, try Aqua Zumba. Just keep swimming, ladies! At this cardio-packed underwater fitness class, you’ll swim your way to toned arms and a strong core. It’s perfect for athletes with injuries (or “special fins”), as the water makes it low-impact for your joints.
4. For fans of Suicide Squad, try doing high-intensity suicide sprints. Sure, it’s a little on the nose… but what better way to celebrate your fave gang of anti-heroes than with a series of sweaty suicide sprints.
5. For fans of the new live-action The Legend of Tarzan, try Air. Swing through the air like the original monkey man himself with this high-flying aerial training workout. Perfect for beginners and beyond, the workouts will have you sweating up a storm… and pounding your chest with excitement.
6. For fans of Black Swan, try Cardio Barre. If grace, poise and killer abs are what you’re looking for, this is definitely the place to start. It’s low impact, so it’s perfect for beginners and the injury-prone, and yes, you’ll feel like a prima ballerina after just a few classes.
7. For fans of Whiplash, try POUND. Don’t worry, the instructors at POUND won’t berate you like Terence Fletcher. This cool new workout features a combination of cardio and strength training using bright weighted drumsticks. Rock on, girl.
8. For fans of Captain America: Civil War, try TRX Training. Inspired by the iconic scene where Captain America uses his killer biceps to hang onto a moving helicopter (full scene here… for research purposes), TRX training will whip your biceps into supernatural shape using your own bodyweight and a specialized TRX Suspension Trainer.
What’s your current workout obsession? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Warner Bros.)
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)