9 Crowdfunds to Spend Your Moola on This Week
We love supporting creatives and makers of all kinds, which is why we’re a tad addicted to scrolling through all the newly released Kickstarter and Indiegogo projects. After scoring big with last week’s hot crowdfunds, we’re pumped to explore even more maker-approved goodies this side of Sunday. Without further ado, here are this week’s 10 coolest crowdfunds.
1. SproutsIO: Don’t worry, we’ve all killed that one supposedly no-maintenance succulent. For those lacking in the gardening department, this new tech is definitely a must. SproutsIO is a high performance system that makes growing produce ridiculously simple — we’re serious, all you have to do is follow the easy app-synched guide.
2. DistractaGone: For the girl who’s always on her phone at inappropriate or inconvenient times (AKA your bestie’s birthday dinner or during that mega important meeting) this cool lockbox just might be a lifesaver. Just put your cell phone in the box, set the timer and have a few hours of tech-free bliss.
3. Podo: There are a TON of camera gadgets we’d love to hoard at the moment, but this techy app-controlled, stick-anywhere camera is definitely earning a coveted spot on our Christmas list. Take note, Santa!
View this post on Instagram
Holscher from Collection 1.2 will be available on Kickstarter soon and is great for adding some color to your summer outfits ☀️ #uru #solosocks #newcollection #1.2 #holscher #organiccotton #danishdesign #tonesofblue #sockgamestrong #matching #colors #style #fashion #summerlook
A post shared by SOLOSOCKS™ (@solo.socks) on
4. SOLOSOCKS: When there’s a hole in one of our socks, we discard the pair… even when that means throwing away one perfectly good sock. SOLOSOCKS aims to fix this problem by creating sets of different but matching single socks.
5. PinBox 3000 and Gamechanger: Old-school pinball machines are awesome, but most of us don’t have the hundreds of dollars it takes (and the ample space needed) to own one ourselves. Luckily, this $28 alternative exists, and our inner fangirls are screaming.
6. The Rwanda Craft Brewery Project: Josephine “Fina” Uwineza, a Rwandan woman who just happens to be a girlboss entrepreneur AND a high-profile restaurant owner, is trying to establish a woman-owned and operated craft brewery in Kigali, Rwanda. Inspirational lady leaders and delicious brews? Consider us sold.
7. Glance Clock: By syncing the information from your phone, wearable and smart-home devices, this cool clock displays valuable notifications that you actually want to read. It’s basically Molly Weasley’s clock in the Harry Potter books and, yes, we’re obsessed.
8. The Sikh Project Book: After the incredible success of their beautifully bearded Sikh men photography series, the Sikh Project team is now back on Kickstarter to raise funds to put all of their awe-inspiring portraits into a gorgeously bound book.
9. Boolean Box: This build-it-yourself computer and electronics kit teaches girls ages eight and up to code, build and invent the future. Complete with software, mouse and keyboard, all you need is a connection to an HDMI-capable TV and your kiddo will be well on their way to running the world.
Are you funding any crowdfunds at the moment? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature image via Sgnl)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.