15 Pieces That Take Your 9-to-5 Look into After-Hours Territory
As a bona fide Nasty Woman, your closet is filled with workwear duds that emphasize the sophisticated go-getter you are. And while you’d never settle for on-the-job attire that was anything but stunning, it can feel like you’re leading a double life. Off duty, you take an edgier, cooler and more street style-approved approach to dressing. Good news, ladies: It is possible to bridge the gap and up the versatility of your nine-to-five wardrobe. Because who wants to hit up happy hour in a stuffy power suit (only HBIC-approved styles need apply)? Below, we’ve created a list of personality-packed pieces that’ll give your office #OOTD an after-hours edge, while keeping you in HR’s good grace.
1. Uterqüe Knit Culotte Trousers ($118): Personality-packed and undeniably cozy — that’s how we like our after-hours style. Show off your sartorial prowess for an upcoming gallery opening or date night with bae by subbing out a standard bodycon in favor of colorful culottes that’ll get you noticed for all the right reasons — career girl with impeccable style? Yeah, that’s you.
2. & Other Stories Striped Fringe Knit ($115): Wherever there’s fringe, you can bet there’s a party. This flouncy blouse was practically designed with girls on the go in mind, serving up the ultimate balance of sophistication and contemporary edge. Up the ante with bold-and-bright accessories, like a neon collar necklace or fiery red crossbody.
3. Zara Bralette Top ($36): Bralettes are bomb as far as day-to-night dressing goes, adding flavor to a snoozy button-down and grounding your getup in fabulously fierce territory once the layers are shed and your swagger is in full force.
4. Junk Food Pink Floyd Prism Tee ($45): Gear up for a Friday night gig by putting a fave band tea at the heart of your on-the-job #OOTD. While this style move might not fly in stricter corporate environments, it’ll pass with flying colors on casual Friday in a low-key work environment. Just add relaxed raw-edge jeans, red suede ankle boots and an oversized blazer for the perfect dressed-up-dressed-down look.
5. Mango Leather Leopard Shoes ($100): Put your best — and most stylish — foot forward with leopard-print shoes that’ll put your standard block heels to shame. Whether you rock ’em with a leather pencil skirt and a bow-neck blouse or wear them alongside a bomber jacket and boyfriend jeans, the result will be equally stunning.
6. Nasty Gal Priscilla Faux Fur Coat ($148): Ah-mazing outerwear is non-negotiable, whether you have a big presentation or a romantic dinner date in the works. This faux fur-trimmed number checks all the boxes — and then some — ensuring your journey from point A to point B is just as street-style worthy as the main event.
8. Ann Taylor Geometric Statement Earrings ($50): The easiest way to inject party vibes into workweek workhorses? Eye-catching statement jewelry that brings the drama (in a totally good way, of course). These geometric drops are no different, with their mixed media elements that are bound to become the topic of conversation during your morning coffee break or weekly GNO.
9. H&M Wide-Cut Jacket ($70): Lugging every outerwear option you own to the office just isn’t gonna happen. The solution? Ditch that blasé blazer and layer on this exotic jacquard topper instead. Balance out the oversized style with tailored trousers and smart heels for a streamlined look that’s sophisticated enough to rock for brainstorming sessions and client meetings.
10. Zara Leather Effect Leggings ($30): Tough-girl essentials, like this pair of leather-look leggings, are essential for the bar (no one messes with you, girl), but have the potential to come off as intimidating for the office. Give them the girlboss treatment by styling them alongside a printed tunic and block-heeled pumps. Once you clock out, swipe on some red lipstick and toss on a pair of chandelier earrings and get ready to — in the words of Prince — party like it’s 1999.
11. Rebecca Minkoff “Leo” Envelope Clutch ($125): You can count on this glitter-flecked envelope to give even the snooziest, stuffiest daytime duds a RN boost. Tuck it into your work tote before heading out the door and you’ll be well equipped for a chic night out on the town.
12. Mango Stripe Wrap Front Jumpsuit ($91): No time for a costume change? Consider jumpsuits your new go-to. Their modern appeal allows them to transcend the office-and-after-hours divide. Just throw a pair of Insta-worthy kicks and a bold cuff into the mix and you’ll be ready to kick it no matter what the day — and night — brings.
15. Jeffrey Cambell Elphaba Embellished Suede Boot ($320): Sure — they’re a splurge, but these pearl-studded ankle boots are just too good to pass up. Pop them on with culottes and a bright blouse or test drive them with a flirty A-line frock FTW.