The FDA Says Antibacterial Soaps Are a Sham, So Here’s What to Use Instead
There’s nothing we love more than taking a long, luxurious shower and lathering up with our favorite soaps, body washes and DIY scrubs. Of course, a full shower-time routine is a lot more difficult to pull off when you have to navigate the challenges of sharing a bathroom with roomies and dormmates, and now there’s another complication getting in the way of our sudsed-up bliss: The FDA says that some of your favorite soaps not only don’t clean your bod all that well, but they also aren’t even safe.
If you’re freaking out right now that you might have to give up some of your favorite products, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite safer swaps you should try instead.
1. Honest Hand Soap ($5): Jessica Alba’s The Honest Company products promise to get you clean without any unnatural additives or harsh ingredients. And we love the pretty packaging.
2. Mrs. Meyer’s Hand Soap ($4): We love the basil scent, but you can also choose from lavender, bluebell, honeysuckle, apple and more.
3. Method Foaming Hand Wash ($4): You’ll still be able to find this brand at your local drug store, but it’s a quality natural formula you’ll love seeing on your sink.
4. Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Pure Castile Liquid Soap ($11 for 16 oz): The packaging makes it kind of look like a cleaning product, but Dr. Bronner’s is totally meant for showering, and we love the tingly wake-up effect of peppermint. TODAY.com actually rated it as their top pick for an all-natural soap.
5. Be Green Bath & Body Shower Gel ($20): We love this brand because it’s packed full of moisturizing coconut and olive oils and is an Environmental Working Group (EWG) top pick.
6. Attitude Body Wash Revival ($10): Another EWG top pick, Attitude is a great natural brand with ingredients you don’t have to worry about. It’s even cruelty-free and vegan.
What are your favorite all-natural and non-antibacterial soaps and body washes? Tweet us your picks @BritandCo.
(Featured photo via Getty)