19 Bedroom Organization Hacks to Kickstart Your Spring Cleaning
Your day begins and ends in the bedroom, so it only makes sense to give it some extra TLC when the spring cleaning begins. Extra organization keeps you sane just by purging your overflowing drawers, that cluttered nightstand and those messy closet hangers. As an added bonus, it’ll also leave you with more space to add those home decor finds you can buy or DIY, like DIY wall art and the extra details that make your space a little more welcoming. It doesn’t matter if you’re working with a spacious bedroom or a studio apartment nook — with these 19 organization hacks, you can maximize and beautify your bedroom in no time.
1. DIY Organized Nightstand: Invest in a bedside table with drawers to tuck away personal items and clutter when guests stop by. Then compartmentalize your nightstand with drawer organizers to make late night snacks easier to find. For the finishing touch, choose a mountable light that attaches to your bed to maximize tabletop space. (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Jewelry Storage Mirror: If you could use just a little more storage and organization in your bedroom this DIY is the perfect hack. It takes up very little space on the wall, but once you open the door, there’s plenty of room for all your accessories. Customize it with compartments, hooks and little spaces for your earrings and rings. (via A Beautiful Mess)
3. DIY Closet Headboard: If you’re aiming to create a bedroom haven in a studio apartment, try hacking a headboard to double as a mini closet. Paint your new headboard a fun, bright color to help define the space and add personality to the whole room. (via Vtwonen)
4. DIY Wooden Box Shelf: If you’re renting and can’t add built-ins to your space, repurpose a plain old box into a modern hanging shelf. These statement shelves are easy to make and are super inexpensive, so you can extend your spring decor budget to the rest of the room. (via Brit + Co)
5. DIY Coat Rack: Your closet purge could actually let you expand your wardrobe with this DIY. Relocate some of your favorite items to a new rack outside of your closet to give yourself additional hanging space. You might discover the open closet area helps take your inventory to a whole other level by helping you assemble looks you hadn’t even considered. (via ADC)
6. Swinging Bedside Table: If you’re short on space, the right nightstand for your bedroom might require you to think outside the standard side table. A simple hanging swing will help you keep the bare essentials within reach, without letting clutter pile up next to your bed. (via House and Garden)
7. Shelves Behind the Bed: Take advantage of the space above your bed by turning it into extra storage. Incorporate shelving for displaying everything from books and lamps to favorite framed photos and flowers. You can buy shelved headboards, or easily mount your own shelves right against the wall. (via Simon James Journal)
8. DIY Dresser Styling: A good dresser is essential not only for the drawer space, but also for the extra surface area it offers. Make the most of your dresser by turning the top into a vanity station with an organized jewelry and makeup display. Your bathroom counters (and S.O. or roommates) will thank you. (via The Everygirl)
9. Pegboard Headboard: Pegboards aren’t just for the office or workbench anymore. If you’re not crazy about putting holes in your walls but like to switch out your wall art every other week, prop up a pegboard and use hooks to create an ever-changing work of art right by your bed. Paint it a fun color if you’re not into the standard white. It’ll be like the backdrop to your own curated gallery. (via Better Homes and Gardens)
10. DIY Floating Corner Shelves: No room for a bookshelf? Corner shelves are perfect for making the most out of awkward corners and weird dead space in your bedroom. Mount them all the way to the ceiling to store items you don’t need super easy access to, like board games that you only play every few months. (via A Beautiful Mess)
11. DIY Plywood Floor Mirror: A full length mirror is a must-have for helping you nail the perfect #OOTD, but if clutter is your arch nemesis, you’ll want to glam up your mirror with this DIY storage hack. It’ll give you just the right amount of storage for your accessories and even add some minimalist-chic vibes to your 2016 decor. (via A Merrythought)
12. DIY Color Dipped Hangers: Color code your wardrobe for the ultimate in organization, and DIY these color dipped hangers to break down categories by length, occasion, or season. Or just brighten up your hanger game with a fresh, spring-inspired palette of pastels. However you plan to use them, getting creative is the fun part. (via Sugar & Cloth)
13. Hanging Clothes Rack: If you need additional hanging space, get creative and add an extra rack right above your dresser. A hanging coat rack is a chic and practical piece of bedroom decor that will have your guests wondering why they never thought to do that. (via My Scandinavian Home)
14. Hobby Lobby Antique Black Metal Shelf With Coat Hooks ($90): Hang your hats, scarves and bags in one area, and your smaller accessories in another. This pre-built hanging rack includes shelf space for displaying jewelry and other knick-knacks. That way you can hang a mirror over the whole thing to give the perfect vanity hack – no floor space required.
15. DIY Closet Organization: Say farewell to tangled necklaces and missing earrings, and get your jewelry out on display. Make a patterned shelf for bigger statement pieces, or even add a drawer in your closet. (via Brit + Co)
16. Sneaky Nightstand Storage: Utilize every square inch in your bedroom by tucking baskets under your nightstand and taking advantage of all that real estate under the bed. Maintain a tidy and inviting area around your bed by keeping the essentials visible, and hiding the rest in cute baskets. (via Insideout)
17. DIY Storage Ottoman: Invest in a storage ottoman or give a thrifted one new life. They’re adorable pieces of furniture, of course, but they’re also a great way to stash bedroom extras, like the pair of slippers you’re always tripping over. (via Brit + Co)
18. Nightstand Desk: Sometimes you don’t have room for both a nightstand and a desk. If you need work space in your bedroom, make your desk do double duty as a nightstand. To keep your bedroom from looking too cluttered, stick to a minimalist piece of furniture and pair it with a small (or even a lucite) chair. (via Hunted Interiors)
19. End of Bed Storage: Don’t forget about the space at the foot of your bed. With the right accessories, you can utilize the space for additional storage. Totes and baskets are always charming looks, and an ottoman or bench is ideal for storing blankets, pillows and out-of-season wardrobe items. (via Insideout)
Looking for more DIYs and organization hacks to add to your spring cleaning list? Follow us on Pinterest for more tips and decor tricks to try!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)